A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Missions!


I planned on writing a longer post, but yesterday was a full day, so I'll keep this short on words and high on pictures.

Today's my birthday, the big 2-9, and we're taking the family on a trip to Austin and San Antonio.  We'll be doing stuff that the whole family will enjoy, but the thing I'll be looking forward to the most is seeing the San Antonio Missions play, the Padres AA team.

Digging through my minor league cards, I found that I didn't have many cards of Mission players in uniform.  These are from last year's Pro Debut set, with The Jerk spending this year with the big club, while Erlin has bounced from AAA Tucson to San Diego to make a handful of appearances.

Here are some older Mission cards of guys who are no longer with the organization, though I remember LeBlanc well.

Currently, some of the Padres biggest prospects are in San Antonio, so I'm looking forward to seeing them in action.

Sampson's numbers are looking pretty legit after a down year last year.

Hedges is a catching stud who just got promoted to SA after starting for the US in the Futures game and throwing out Xander Bogearts.

Spangenberg is having a good year as well, and is a guy I've been following since getting his autograph a few spring trainings ago.

Rymer Liriano had Tommy John surgery and is still on the DL, so he won't be playing, but he's still on the Missions' roster.

Anyways, can't wait to get going, more details in a few days.  Wish us luck with the kids.  Go Padres!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good time.. have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, If you get the chance to pick up an extra program, I would be interested, since that's part of my Padres collecting disease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... even though I posted this on Wednesday the 6th, I edited it when we got home on Thursday and I guess it reposted it that night. Just an FYI in case in the future people wonder why I posted that it was my birthday on the 7th.

    ReplyDelete