A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Take It Or Leave It

In the few times that I've gone to a place where "haggling" is acceptable during a purchase (swap meets, garage sales, card shows, etc.), I'm not really sure how well I've done.  I think the only times that I've really made out pretty well was when I wasn't haggling - I literally only had a few dollars in my pocket, and the seller just wanted it to be gone.

Anyways, has anybody ever done a "Make an Offer" on eBay?  Usually I see them on items that are already out of my price range, and I know that no amount of haggling will get it anywhere near what I'm willing to spend.  Fortunately, I found a few cards recently that were just out of my normal price range (max of $5 total, including shipping) that I was able to make an offer on, and they were accepted.  Victory!

I found the "Out of Bounds" short printed version of Cameron Maybin's card listed for $5.99 OBO.  I countered with four bucks, and a few hours later, the seller responded and it was mine!  Pretty sweet if you ask me, at about 33% off.

Even though Maybin's regular card in the set doesn't look too shabby (especially in the retro 70's uniform), this one takes the cake.

Feeling confident after my first victory, I tried my hand at the Best Offer Wheel once more.  After watching the autographed version of Yonder Alonso's sepia toned card from last year's Chrome set slip out of my reach, I really wanted to get my hands on the "regular" sepia card.  I first sent in a lowball offer for half price.  Awhile later, the guy countered with a barely noticeable discount, but it still got the price down south of four dollars. Done.

I'm not much of a Chrome kinda guy, but the sepia just looks cool here.  Reminds me of the photo class I took in high school, only much cooler.

I don't really consider myself somebody who goes crazy over something like serial numbered cards either, but if the card already looks sweet, it definitely adds to it.  Also, in case you couldn't tell from the front, this is a refractor.

Last but not least, an autographed card from a Padre I've never heard of.  Still, he's in catchers gear, so the auto makes it even cooler (even if it's on a sticker).  This wasn't a "best offer" deal, but I had the only bid at 99 cents, plus a couple of bucks for shipping.

I don't normally do a lot of picking up newer cards online, since I get a lot of them through trades on the blog.  But I guess these were cards that I figured might be a little tough to come across, so I pulled the trigger.  Glad to see that there are still some pretty cool Padres cards being produced in this day an age.

5 comments:

  1. Nice pickups!

    One of the tricks I've learned is to comb through the finished listings and make offers on stuff that didn't sell. It works especially well with sellers who have multiple cards I'm after or keep relisting the same card over and over but not actually lowering the price in the listing.

    I haven't picked up nearly as many 2013 cards yet as I did in 2012, but as the prices come down, I'll be watching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once A Cub has a great idea. I'll have to try that myself.

    I tried the make an offers a few times. I even negotiated through the ebay messages a couple times on one occasion...but the sellers haven't came down to my offers yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always throwing out "best offers" on eBay. I'm pretty good about knowing what I'm willing to pay for something... so if they have that option... I'll throw it out there. Unfortunately... 90% of the time, they shoot me down ;-)

    PS... Great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a few people on my Favorite Sellers list who tend to post large numbers of random relics, autographs, and older cards. I'll look at what they have closing in the next day or two, bid on all the cheap stuff that hasn't received a lot of bids, and get combined shipping on whatever winds up falling to me.

    I've tried the Best Offer option a couple of times. The other day I made a couple of offers to the same seller for ~25% off the asking price for some cards. They accepted, and I saved $5.00, as I was going to buy the cards either way. It can't hurt to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Fuji. I generally try to lowball an offer. Sometimes you get lucky and they accept it. Most of the time (99% probably isn't too far off...) they shoot it down. However, it does create a dialogue at times, and they're willing to negotiate a wee bit. I've picked up some nice hockey cards that way.

    ReplyDelete