A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

No Time

If you were one of the handful of people who read my last post, you'll know that when it comes to this year's Allen & Ginter set, I'm a fan.  However, you might recall that, of the two packs I ripped, the only two cards that made it into the binder were of things and not players (Grand Central Terminal and a Scattered Disc).

Well, I made it into Target on Monday while picking up a last minute gift for my wife.  It was our anniversary (seven years of marriage, thank you very much), and while I had been thinking about what to get her, I of course, hadn't had the time to get anything.  Mission accomplished, with goods in hand, I made my way to the checkout line.  Right next to the card aisle.

Since it was my anniversary as well, I figured one little measly pack of A&G would be a good way to treat myself.

If I had more time to elaborate on the entire pack, I would.  But I don't, so pictures and blurbs is all there is time for today.  I started helping with registration at school, and between getting back into the swing of waking up early and the kids waking us up at all hours of the night, to say that I'm feeling tired is a bit of an understatement.

When I initially looked over the the checklist, I picked out a few players that I normally collect, plus a few players that don't normally make it onto checklists nowadays, and added them to the want list.  I had never even heard of Hal Newhouser.  With a checklist like Ginter, he could've been an underwater basket weaver for all I knew.  Well, it turns out that he was a great pitcher for the Tigers during the 40s and 50s that I had never heard of.  I'd tell you just how good he is, but there's no time.  Look it up yourself.

Here's a guy who needs no introduction.  Right?  C'mon, everybody knows who Roberto Clemente is.  Well, even though I had initially passed on adding his name to the "want list", when I saw this card, there was no way that I could toss it into the trade pile.  If a card this good looking can't make it into the binder, then something is wrong.

Of course, the card I was most excited about was of a huge asteroid.  This makes it 11 out of the 20 cards I need to finish the "One Little Corner" insert set.  This is the only insert set out of the countless insert sets that I'm going to attempt to complete, so help a blogger out!

I don't have time to tell you what Ceres is, so here's a picture to do the talking for me.

Half a pack that makes it into a binder is a good pack, even if there's only six cards to go from.

Oh, and the Padres pulled out a win last night after giving up four runs in the first inning.  I'd tell you more about that but there's no time nobody cares.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! As for the Padres win last night... I definitely care ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary. My wife and I just celebrated our seventh recently as well. I agree, .500 is good for a random pack. Also agree that the One Little Corner is the best insert set. Don't really care about the Padres -- I'm still a little bitter about 1984 (I know, get over it!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like those One Little Corner inserts.

    ReplyDelete