A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, August 26, 2013

Day One

Today is the first day of school, so by the time you read this, I will be in a classroom with 20 or so first graders doing... well, whatever we happen to be doing at the time.  Lots to do the first day.

If I was really clever, I'd find a way to tie in a "first day of school" theme in this post and relate it to baseball cards, but I'm all clevered out.  Plus I've got a massive amount of trade posts to catch up on, so here's one more I can take care of.

Apparently Weston, the young author of Fantastic Catch, made a trip out to Fort Wayne, IN to catch a Tin Caps game.  The Tin Caps are one of the Padres single A farm teams, and have my favorite name of any Padres affiliate.  More on that in a bit.  Here are some cards that Weston sent my way.

Here are a couple of guys that I've heard good things about.  Well, I can't say what exactly I've heard about them, but I do recognize their names.  Not very many players I've heard of named "Weickel", and the same can be said for players named "Maxx".

Here are two catcher cards.  I have a Dane Phillips autograph from this year's Bowman set, so I had heard of him as well, and I wonder if Rodney Daal is related to former player Omar Daal.  I like the use of the faded background shot against a bold foreground image.  

Here are the pitching and hitting coaches, respectively.  Both former players, though I don't believe that either one played for the Padres at any point.

Leonel Campos has already been advanced to AA San Antonio, as I saw him pitch at the game that I went to at the beginning of the month.  Here is also a look at the back of the cards.  The only numbering system used is the uniform number of the player.  I thought Mejia's card was interesting, as the written blurb says that he struck out the only two batters that he faced in .2 innings for AA San Antonio last year.

Last but not least, we have the beloved "mascot" card.  Johnny Appleseed is the mascot of the Tin Caps, as he was supposedly known for wearing a pot on his head.  Johnny Appleseed was buried in Fort Wayne, and there are parks and festivals in Fort Wayne honoring him, so I guess this is a fitting mascot.  You know, besides the part about him being dead.  Weston also included this sweet pocket schedule, which was cool to get.

He also threw in a handful of other "real" Padre cards, of which these were my favorites.  I'm still trying to track down some of those "Top Prospects" cards from last year's Bowman Platinum set.  Topps Gallery is a pretty decent set, from what I've seen, and this Hoffman looks good.

Thanks for the cards, Weston!  Wish me luck on my first day of school, and best of luck to everyone (parents and students) in the new school year!

3 comments:

  1. That Burt Hooton card is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the package. Good luck keeping control of 1st graders this year.

    ReplyDelete