A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, August 3, 2013

A Pair of Geese

Even though I was less than enamored with this year's Archives set, there were still a few cards that I wanted to track down.  I snagged both Padre cards from the base set, grabbed a serial-numbered gold foil Chase Headley card, and acquired all three short prints that used the '93 Topps design (Morris, Fryman, and Salmon).  Sure, there were a few random base cards that fell into my lap that I've held on to, but those were the main ones I wanted.

Then I found out about the hobby-only Day Glow cards, and thought that I'd like to have at least one of those.  Seeing as how the closest card shop is in Austin (about an hour and a half drive), I settled for looking for them online.  But which card to choose?  I almost went with Headley again, but I'm still working on completing the Headley Heritage rainbow, no need to have all of his cards from Archives as well.  Plus, since they used the same image in Archives and Heritage, I'm getting a little tired of seeing the same picture.

So, I decided to go with my favorite player not in a Padre uniform in the set...

GOOSE!

As stellar as I think this card looks, I gotta say I'm a little underwhelmed with it in hand.  I guess I expected the card to literally be glowing in my hand, but it doesn't seem to have any super powers at all.  Still, can't go wrong with a card as slick as this one.

Love the back of this card as well.  I remember as a kid looking at the stats on the backs of cards, but now I feel that I hardly do it at all.  I guess that's what baseball-reference.com is for.  Of course, I'd need a magnifying glass to be able to read the fine print here from Goose's long career.  Dude played for a while.

I wonder if the reason that Gossage was put in the '90s version of the set because Topps was trying to right a wrong, seeing as how he played in 1990, but wasn't included in the Topps sets of '90 or '91.

Here's the Day Glow card and the regular old base card side by side.  I guess I never realized how blue the sky is in the base card, but I can't tell which one I like better.  Obviously, the Day Glow is probably a little more rare, so I'm going to think it's inherently a little cooler, but on strict aesthetics, I might have to give the nod to the base card.

What does everybody else think of the Day Glow cards?  I guess I'm glad to have one in the collection, but I certainly don't feel compelled to go out and find more.  

Anyways, speaking of Yankees closers, the Padres hosted the Yanks last night and had a pre-game ceremony to honor Mariano Rivera, with Trevor Hoffman presenting a set of custom made beach cruisers for the Rivera family.  Seems like it would've been pretty cool to be there, especially since the Padres won 7-2.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Goose. I don't know about these day-glow cards, but I've been fantasizing about glow-in-the-dark baseball cards for a while. Got around to googling it just now.. not much.. drab mid-90s Score inserts, and "Under The Lights" inserts from 2011 Topps Opening Day.. I might need to check those out to achieve my dream.

    ReplyDelete