A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Purple & Gold


PWE Appreciation Week was in full swing last week, and I'm reaping the benefits from my mailbox even now.  The latest comes from Spiegel, from Nomo's Sushi Platter.  One envelope, three cards, three binder entries.


Matt Wisler resembles a middle school aged kid here, but the dude actually looks to be showing some promise.  The Padres 7th round pick in 2011 started off the year at High A Lake Elsinore, where he went 2-1 with a 2.03 ERA in six starts (31 innings).  He's currently in AA San Antonio sporting a 4-3 record with a 3.44 ERA in ten starts (55 innings).

I would have no problem joining the Mark Kotsay fan club.  He is a great guy, very humble, hardworking, and funny - an awesome clubhouse guy.  However, the dude's in a funk right now, and not contributing at all.  Not sure how much he's got left in the tank.  Hurts to say it.  However, this is a slick looking card, and a gold bordered one at that.

Last but not least, Dane Phillips.  Like Wisler, I had never heard of Phillips before seeing his picture on a card.  He was the Friars 2nd round draft pick in 2012.  Apparently, batting .226 in Low A Eugene last year was good enough to warrant the slick looking "catcher's gear" card you see above.  This year, he's in Fort Wayne, the Padres A Team, and hitting .289 with 4 homers and 20 RBI, so I guess the Bowman prospectors might be onto something here.

As a kid, I didn't have cable, so the only way I knew who the players were was through baseball cards (and box scores from the paper, I guess).  Now I guess I'm turning to baseball cards again to see who the Padres of tomorrow are.  Thanks for another great set of cards, Spiegel!  Classy as always.

1 comment: