A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Mostly Padres

Made a low-cost COMC purchase a while back, and I've been slacking on posting the sweetness on the blog.  I usually don't go on COMC that much unless there's a sale on shipping or something, but I happened across a card that had been eluding me for a long time, and it was too good to pass up.  Of course, with the flat shipping at COMC, I had to look around to see if there were any other bargains to be had.

There were.
2002 Fleer Fall Classics is a pretty cool set that I haven't seen a lot of.  You'd think that black and white photography on a brass colored border would be kinda lame, but these cards look pretty legit in hand.  This card was less than 50 cents, so I had to snag it.  This is the "newest" Jerry Coleman card I have.  The next "youngest" is from 1980.

This pair of Mr. Padre cards brings me to within one of completing the Topps Timeline for Tony Gwynn.  Still looking for the '95 version.  Out of these two, I'd say that I'm more of a fan of the 2000 Topps card (on the right, for those like me who think that these early '00s cards look very un-Topps like and don't know the year just by looking at the design).  

Here we've got my two favorite Italian Padres.  Well, neither one is in a Padre uniform, but Deno would become a Padre in 2010 (this is a World Baseball Classic card from '09), while Archi was traded to the Padres in the middle of the '93 season.  I was excited to see the WBC inserts in this year's Topps Series 2, but bummed that Deno wasn't included, kind of a limited checklist on that one.  I loved '92 Fleer Ultra as a kid, and would've loved this card when I was nine.  I know because I still love it now.

As the title of the post indicates, the cards I picked up were "mostly" Padres.  Only one card was of a player who had never been a Friar, the rest were all either in uniform or from a previous team.  I can never get enough of Alexi Amarista.  I found out that he does have a card as a Padre from this year's Turkey Red set, but I haven't tracked it down yet.  The cards of him as an Angel are still cool, just slightly less so.

These three cards were the main impetus behind the purchase.  I'm trying to "complete the rainbow", finding every parallel of Denorfia's 2011 Topps card.  These three get me to within ONE of finishing the project.  The gold an diamond parallels were under a dollar, while the black border (which is only numbered to sixty) set me back three bucks, which is seven dollars less than the cheapest one I've ever seen on eBay.  This was the only one in this post that cost over a dollar, as I usually try to keep costs low.  Got mouths to feed, capiche?

There were a few other cards, but they were put towards my 1969 Padres team set.  I'll show those off once that set is complete (four cards left, homes).

Thanks for checkin'.  Happy Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Darn, I had that Cianfrocco set aside for my next trade package to you. Glad you ended up tracking it down, though! Looks like an excellent COMC haul.

    ReplyDelete