A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Card Draft Results: Round 3

Do I need to keep coming up with things to say at the beginning of these posts still?  If you're not sure what's going on, check the previous few posts.  If you've already done that, then there's no need to explain anything before showing the results of Round 3.


#13 Swing - Preston Gomez was the original manager for the MLB Padres.  His record was not great, and he was let go a few weeks into the '72 season.  Vintage draws first blood again.  Props if you can name this song without looking it up: "Third verse same as the first, only this time the sugar hits you in reverse, spins you 'round, puts you in a dream, and turns your mind into an elephant balloon machine..."  Well, props if you've even heard of the song or the band after looking it up.

#14 Nick - And just like that, the first Gwynn is off the board!  '93 Leaf is one of my favorite sets, mostly due to the awesome card backs.  I showed the front of this one, because there aren't a lot of cards of Anthony Keith getting down in the dirt on a slide.  The only one that I can think of right off the bat is...

#15 Lost Collector - ...this card.  I love anything having to do with the 1992 All-Star Game.  It was held in San Diego, and I went to Fan Fest with my dad, the first of two times that we did so (the second time was almost a few decades later (2010) when they held it in Anaheim.


#16 - Fantastic Catch - A Jake Peavy sighting!  Upper Deck Masterpieces is a really slick set.  Not literally, of course - it's got some good, canvas-type texture to it.  But it looks great.  I've mentioned before that I don't like craning my neck to see how great a horizontal card looks in a binder, but this is definitely crane-worthy.

#17 - Joe - The Last Klaus is finally off the board.

#18 - B&G - Well, there was some pretty good meat in that Preston Gomez sandwich.  I wish I'd shown the back of the Gomez card.  It looks pretty cool, pretty different from the backs of the player cards.  Is this the last of the '69 Topps cardboard?

You'll havta stay tuned to find out.

And I've gotta mow the lawn before the rest of the family gets back from Hobby Lobby.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Landed the three cards I really wanted!

    ReplyDelete