A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Card Draft Results: Round 2

Round Two results, fresh off the press!

Okay, first off, I took these pictures last night, and in my rush, some of the pictures turned out a little blurry.  It's not like I work for National Geographic or anything, these were all taken with my iPhone.  All you bloggers with your fancy scanners can just turn away if these images are too low res for you.

Alright, since our first round picks went in this order:
1. Swing And A Pop Up
2. Dimebox Nick
3. The Lost Collector
4. Fantastic Catch
5. From An Unlikely Source!
6. Bleedin' Brown and Gold

this round will be reverse (that's how snake drafts work, for those of you who have never been in a fantasy baseball league).  This list is more for me than for you readers, as I add words to these out of focus pictures.


#7 B&G - I'm not sure if I can classify Klaus as an Original Padre.  He wasn't taken in the '68 Expansion Draft, but he was taken in the '68 Rule 5 Draft.  I suppose the distinction doesn't really matter, since he never played a game for the Friars, and actually, his last game in the majors was in '65, when he played for the Mets.

#8 Joe - I'm not too proud to admit that there are only two reasons why I know who Zoilo is: 1) seeing this card on eBay for a while - how can you forget that glare? and 2) a song written by Twins fan and lead singer of The Hold Steady mentions him (along with a bunch of other Twinkies, I wrote a post on it a while back).  Bottom line: great pick.

#9 Fantastic Catch - It's a design that you've seen all over this year (from the first 50 cards of the Archives base set to the mini inserts in the flagship set), but this is an original.  


#10 Lost Collector - If I had to say what my favorite card of this round is, it would have to be this one - Benito's rookie card!  Can't remember how I came across my first copy, but this one came out of a $1 repack.  Not too shabby, right?  AJ scored well with this one.  BTW, this is an example of why I don't have a mustache - mine ends up looking like this one, the two ends never meet.  I call it "The Drawbridge".

#11 Nick - Even though I mentioned that this '77 Topps card of Randy Jones had a crease in it, it still became Nick's second round pick.  If you've read Nick's blog, you'll know that condition is not exactly high on his list of importance when it comes to great cardboard.  Fortunately Randy's hair remains in tact.

#12 Swing - This is only the beginning of Mr. Swing's vintage run.  When I first started organizing all the cards, I realized that I had doubles and triples of some cards.  Not wanting to completely scrap everything altogether, I made some corrections with the vintage cards and kept everything the same.  This Klaus card is one of the ones that I had doubles of.  You'll see another example in Round 3.

Well, two rounds down, a few more to go before the end of the day.  See ya'll in a few.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I had doubles of vintage cards. For the most part, I wish I had singles of vintage cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I didn't already have the Jones. It'll look awesome in my frankenset!

    Quentin and Jones were two of the three cards I really wanted in this draft. Let's hope I snagged the third one in the next round!

    ReplyDelete