A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, July 15, 2013

2013 Padres Bowman Minis

Though I'm not usually a big fan of mini cards, there is one set that came out this year that I thought was really cool.  Obviously, if you have read the title of this post, you know what I'm talking about.

I don't know if it's the chromeyness or the refractoriness that I love about these, but they just look good.  In the few packs of this year's Bowman that I ripped, I was able to find a few, but both have been sent away in trades.

These don't seem to be that expensive on eBay, but just a little more than I want to spend on a miniature card of some minor league prospects - usually two or three bucks.  I was able to snag the Hedges for 77 cents, and I finally pulled the trigger on a COMC purchase to get the other four, all they averaged out to be less than a buck for each.  Nice.

Anyways, here is the whole set of Padre prospects...


Gyorko is the number one prospect, and for obvious reasons, given that he is currently with the big club and having a great rookie year.  Not Rookie of the Year great (at least right now), but still very solid.  Hedges was in the Futures Game that was held yesterday at Citi Field in New York.  Went 0 for 2, but threw out a runner trying to steal second.  It's widely known that his defense is the best in the minors (well, widely known to those who care about things like that), and his offense is improving as well at High-A Lake Elsinore.

Casey Kelly and Rymer Liriano are supposed to be really good.  How good?  I'm not sure.  Liriano's supposed to be a five-tool prospect, and Kelly is supposed to be a projected 2-3 starter.  Both are out for the season due to having Tommy John surgery.  So that's a bummer.

Max Fried has been climbing up charts of the top prospects in baseball.  His numbers at Single-A Fort Wayne are decent (3.93 ERA, 73 IP, 70 K's, 36 walks), but he's only 19, and I keep hearing that he's going to keep growing and maturing and all that kinda crap, so he's supposed to be the real deal.

I guess I used the phrase "supposed to be" a few times in this post.  I guess that's the nature of cards with prospects.  I still prefer cards of guys who are in the bigs, but when they're as slick as these ones (and there's only five), they're good additions to the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment