A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, June 8, 2013

School's Out!

Well, it's been a few days since my last post, but a lot has happened in that time.  For one thing, SCHOOL IS OUT!  Thursday was the last day the kids were in class, and Friday was a work day for the teachers, finishing up end of the year type stuff.

Thursday was way fun.  Being a 5th grade teacher, there was a promotion ceremony for the kids, and afterwards parents came back to class to socialize a bit and have cake.  My students made some videos to show what they had learned in 5th grade, so we watched those.  Nothing too impressive, but the kids had fun making them.  After going to music class, the rest of the 5th grade had in class parties or watched movies, but my class went outside and played baseball.  It was our first time that we'd been able to do so all year, but I'm glad we finally made it out - the kids had a blast.  Most had never played before (though one kid brought his uniform from his rec league team) so it was very "sandlot-style" - drop your gloves in the field when it's your turn to bat, and the other team comes out and picks them up.  No spectacular plays or anything, but lots of fun.

Friday was a mess, since I was a bit behind on my end of the year stuff (reports, records, inventory, administrative crap, etc.), plus I had to move my stuff to my new room because I was asked to teach on the 1st grade team next year.  I didn't get the job in Fort Worth that I mentioned a few weeks ago, which is a bummer, but I'm still looking forward to next year and working with the really little kids.  This will be my fourth year as a teacher, the last two being in fifth grade, but my first year was spent in first grade, so it'll be fun to go back.

End of the year congratulating among teachers is usually as awkward as it is among star athletes.

In the meantime, today I had a seven hour planning meeting for summer school.  Pretty boring, but the ladies that I'm working with are pretty funny and laid back, for the most part.  I'll be teaching 5th grade reading, mostly to help the kids who didn't pass the state reading test.

I'm looking forward to having a semi-relaxing summer this year, hopefully be able to spend time with the wife and kids, and maybe even squeeze in a trip or two down to Round Rock to catch some minor league games.

Anyways, I've got a few trades to post, as well as some garage sale finds and other random awesomeness, so stay tuned sports fans.

WELCOME SUMMER!  GO PADRES!

4 comments:

  1. I have been looking for some garage sale finds around here but I guess nobody in Cheyenne is selling cards at garage sales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the end of the year, buddy! Our school doesn't graduate til the 19th, so we've got a little bit to go, still. Though, I'm a 12-month employee, so summer just means there are no high school kids around for me to learn pop culture from...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Backstop Cards. I found your blog through Dime Boxes Blog and wanted to say hello. We actually have a couple of things in common... I'm a Padres fan and a teacher as well. Anyways, I look forward to reading your posts... especially the Padres ones. That's one thing that I probably need to do more frequently on my blog.

    Enjoy your summer. I'll be teaching summer school too ;-) Keeps me busy and the extra change in my pocket will help purchase some new Gwynns for my PC. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait... just noticed your little avatar/picture and had a Jeff Spicoli, "I know that dude" moment. I've finally put things together... and am embarrassed that I didn't start reading your blog months ago.

    ReplyDelete