A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, June 10, 2013

Sweet Pitch


Upon returning home from my last day of school (last Thursday), I found a bubble mailer with a return address from Ryan's Pitch.  He had emailed me a few days earlier to let me know that he was mailing his half of a trade, which put me in a panic, because I wasn't sure if I'd already sent my half (turns out I did).  A nice way to end the school year, if you ask me.

Anyways, included in the trade were a bunch of Padres from this year's Bowman set, including the gold bordered Yonder Alonso at the top of this post.  Speaking of Bowman, the MLB Draft was last week, so in case you hadn't gotten your fix of baseball players that you've never heard of, you can check out how your favorite team fared.  Casey Kelly is an injured prospect drafted by the Red Sox, and I've never heard of Dane Phillips, but he's a Padre and a catcher, so there's room for him in the binders.

Yonder Alonso just landed on the disabled list with a broken hand, suffered when he was hit by a pitch in a series against the Blue Jays.  Super bummed about that, but it allowed Kyle Blanks to stay on the team after Cameron Maybin was brought off the DL, so I'm glad that he'll get some playing time, because he's raking right now.  Anyways, this Alonso card is awesome.  I'm not a fan of this year's Gypsy Queen, but the white bordered cards look sharp.

Last but not least, a pair of Jeff Gardner cards.  There were actually a few Friars from the 90s in the package, but these of Mr. Gardner were my favorites.  In Jeff's two years in San Diego, he hit .255 with 24 RBIs and a home run in 155 games.  I like the blurry bat action on the Pinnacle card, and my favorite part of the Fleer Ultra card is the back, not sure why I chose to just show the front here.  Oh well, for another time, I guess.

Anyways, thanks again for the awesome trade, Ryan!  BTW, in case it wasn't completely obvious, I'm debuting a new color scheme here on the blog, not sure if I like it better than the previous brown & yellow layout, but I'll give it a few days to see if it grows on me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment