A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Super Rad


One of my "third tier" player collections is of Scott Radinsky.  In his eleven year career, Radinsky pitched for the White Sox, Dodgers, Cardinals, and Indians, compiling a 42-25 record with 52 saves with a 3.44 ERA.  He spent the most time with the Sox.

Despite the numbers, the thing that makes Scott Radinsky a player that I like to collect is his music.  I've mentioned before, somewhere, that he was the lead singer in a few punk bands from the 80s and 90s, including Scared Straight, Ten Foot Pole, and Pulley.

Anyways, I made a trade a while back with Jeff from My Sports Obsession, and since he's a big White Sox fan, he sent over a few South Side cards that fit into my binders pretty well, including more than a few Rad cards.

Man, I love those early 90s Sox unis with the cursive "C" and the red secondary color.  The yellow border of the Classic card looks sweet.  Radinsky's got some guns as well, apparently no stranger to the gym. 

Paul Konerko is also a guy that has a place in the binders.  Believe it or not, I even collect his Dodger cards from the beginning of his career, which account for the few Dodger cards I have in the collection.

These cards of Paulie in a more familiar uniform were included as well, which are very cool.  Normally, I'm not much of a "shiny card" kinda guy, but when it's done right, it looks good, and these Upper Deck cards look good.

The Gavin Floyd card from this year's Heritage set has been on the want list for a while.  One of the knocks against the set has been the boring head shots that were used for the vast majority of the set.  I thought the pose for Floyd's card was one of the more interesting ones out there, so glad to finally snag that one.  The '77 Topps card of Randy Jones was one that I already had, but is an upgrade in condition, as the one I had before had a serious crease down the middle.

Overall, a bunch of great stuff to add to the binders, thanks Jeff!

I'll leave with a few tunes featuring the vocal stylings of Mr. Radinsky.

As a kid in high school, I totally ate up the compilation albums that Epitaph and Fat Wreck would put out, and Punk-O-Rama was my favorite.


Professional baseball player?  Touring the world in a punk rock band?  Owning your own skate park?  Sounds like a pretty decent way to live.

1 comment:

  1. Glad I could find some cards to send back that you could use. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete