A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Party Time!

A few days ago, I got an envelope from Weston, the guy who writes for the blog Fantastic Catch.  I had sent him a few pretty decent Cardinals cards previously, and he responded saying that he would "send me something good".  Upon reading his words, I tempered my excitement.

When I first started this blog, I had a disclaimer at the top of my want list, saying something like "my collection isn't very extensive, so send me whatever Padres you have, I don't anticipate duplicates being a problem."

Well, fast forward a little over a year, and well, dupes are kind of a problem.  I mean, a good problem, definitely a "first-world" problem to have.  My first year of teaching 5th grade, I passed out a bunch of cards from my childhood collection that I couldn't trade away, keeping only the Padres.  Then last year, I had so many duplicates that I only passed out Padre cards turning all of my students into Padre-loving zombies (well, most of 'em, at least).

However, upon ripping open Weston's envelope, I was very pleasantly surprised to find a card that I didn't have... from 2012 Topps, of all places!

This is a short printed variation of Heath Bell's 2012 Topps card.  The base card features him in an airbrushed Marlins uniform, but here, he's still happy and doing well in San Diego.  Since these are so hard to come by (not to mention pricey), I figured that this would be one fish I'd have to let swim by.  Thanks for making a fantastic catch, Weston!

In honor of this great card, along with today being my last day of summer school, I have a proposition for all the people that take time out of their day to read this blog;

This coming school year, I will be making the move to first grade, and therefore ending the Padre card philanthropy project.  Six year olds have enough distractions, and I'd imagine cards being more of a problem with the littler kids than with the big 5th graders.  I also have made a few trades with other Padre bloggers, but I don't want to clog up their Padre doubles box as well.

Soooooooo........  I'm having a Free Padre Card Draft!!!

Okay, maybe for most the majority of you, that doesn't mean a whole lot anything.  Well fine, be like that!  But for those of you who are interested, go ahead and comment below, and if we haven't previously emailed, or if your email isn't listed in your blogger profile, send me an email as well.

I've compiled a spreadsheet on Google Drive with (at last count) 123 different cards, spanning from 1969 Topps to 2013 Gypsy Queen.  A decent handful of vintage, Gwynn's, and parallel cards for all.  I've done something similar before, amongst a few other Padre bloggers, but now I'm extending it to everybody who's made it down to the end of this post.  Hopefully there are so many people that enter that I'm able to send out the cards in plain white envelopes, as to coincide with "PWE Appreciation Week".

Comment away!

6 comments:

  1. It's crazy how fast your collection can grow from a few packages sent by the folks around here.

    I'd be interested in the draft and picking up a Padre or two. Certainly give preference to your Padre friends though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be curious to see what you have and possibly pick up a wayward Pad or two. By the way, those '91 Fleers are heading your way, along with a few Padre goodies, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take some of the vintage and or any cards I could get signed TTM. Glad you liked the package Marcus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Bell card is awesome! I'd love to have something like that mistakenly wind up in a dime box one of these days.

    And I'm definitely interested in the Padre card draft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny that you should mention PWEs and a draft; about an hour before I read this I sent you a PWE and made mention of the Padres card draft I've meant to do for the past couple months. I should stop commenting and go do that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Count me in! As a set collector, I need Padres too!

    ReplyDelete