A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Goose Hunting

Okay, so last week I wrote a post about how I was trying to complete a Topps timeline of Tony Gwynn's cards.  I am six away from completing the twenty year chain, so I'm 70% of the way there, hopefully I can knock that out quick - with the assistance of the blogging community.

Anyways, even though I haven't made any headway since I announced the TCOG Project (Topps Chain of Gwynn), I am already contemplating adding another chain to the festivities.

The subject?  Goose Gossage!

Is there a better player to create a timeline for?  Whereas Gwynn is a cool chain because he played on the Padres for the whole time (and he's just awesome), the Gossage chain would have a bunch of different looking uniforms (not to mention a lot of cool vintage designs).  We'd also get to watch that sweet mustache start from nothing and become the legend that it is.

Well, I've already nailed down the four Padre cards that Gossage appeared in:

The Goose in action in 1988.

Happy Goose in 1987.

Serious Goose in 1986.

Goose's first full year with the Friars in 1985.

Not sure that I'd be able to choose a favorite out of those four.  I'm a big fan of the '86 design, but he just looks so darn happy in that '87 card.  And the action shots used in '85 and '88 are top notch.  Four way tie?  Goose's actual first Topps card came in the 1984 Traded set, but haven't got a hold of that one yet.

Besides these four, I only have two from other Topps main sets.

This is bar none my favorite card of Gossage, at least until I get ahold of his 1973 rookie card.  Kinda weird seeing a young Goose without the trademark 'stache, and between the picture, the uniform (digging the collars on those old White Sox unis) and the '77 design, I'm a big fan of this card.

Lastly, we have 1992 Topps.  Well, this is technically from the "Gold Winner" set, so I'm not sure if it counts as a "main set" card, but the foil is the only thing different between the two, so it works for me.  As far as I can tell, this is Goose's last card from the Topps main set, but I've seen some of his cards from as late as 1996 from other brands.  Anybody know why this is?  Also, I know there is an '89 Topps issue of him on the Cubs, but then this card with the Rangers is the next (and last) one of him.  What happened in '90 and '91?

Anyways, I'm debating trying to put together a timeline of Goose, but some of the holes in the Topps canon make me wonder if it would just look disjointed and incomplete.  I like Goose enough that I might just add him to the Player Collection binder and snatch up as many as I can anyways.

Glad to see that he's getting some love from Topps this year, as he's been included in the Gypsy Queen set (still haven't busted any of those packs, so hoping that I can get that one in a trade) and the Archives set (got that one from a pack, no pictures yet, though).

2 comments:

  1. I checked my binders for those missing Gwynns - none to be had. Sorry....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcus, I have the '85 and '01 Gwynn cards for your TCOG Project, so you can cross those off your list! I'm going to a mall show this weekend, so I'll hold off on mailing those in case I find anything else for ya.

    ReplyDelete