A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Get Down!


Get down!  Greg Dobbs is telling you to!  It's another post about 2013 Topps Series 2!

The consensus around the blogs I've been reading is that Series 2 is pretty much the same as Series 1.  This is of course accurate, since the design is identical and the photography is similar.  I guess that everybody's excited about seeing new cards to add to their team or player collections that they're just trying to find something new to say about the set in general.

I don't think there's much to say at all.  And since I like looking at pictures of cards when I read blogs, here are the three best cards I pulled from my first taste of Series 2.  These were also the only three that made it into a keeper binder, so the ones that weren't put aside for specific trading partners are on the "Trade List" page.  Check it out if you feel so inclined.

#3
Not a Yankees fan, but there is no denying the awesomeness of Mo's card here.  Might this be the card that sends him off into the sunset?  We recently got rid of our satellite dish, so the only baseball news that I'm up to speed on involves the Padres.  Can you believe they sent Miles Mikolas down and brought up Tom Layne?  Anyways, I don't know what Rivera's plans are for next year, but if he's retiring, this is a great card to end on, a shot of him gettin' props from his teammates after nailing down another save.

#2
Is Mike Trout still taking over the world?  I seem to remember him getting off to a slow start, but his numbers look good now.  Can't say that I'm the biggest Mike Trout fan in the world, but the dude seems like a baller and plays with some intensity, so there's a lot to like about him.  I will say that I am definitely a fan of Mike Trout cards.  Topps loves the guy and this is a great example of a cardboard tribute to an exciting player.

#1
You know that if there's a Padre card in the mix, chances are it's going to make the list.  This card of backup catcher Nick Hundley was the only Padre I pulled.  A bummer to be sure, but at least it's a great shot of a Padre sporting the catchers gear.  Yasmani Grandal, the Padres starting catcher, was included in Series 2, but he's hitting, so this will most likely be the only Padre in the flagship set wearing the tools of ignorance.  Can any of you "what game is it from" geniuses figure out who's foot Nick is about to tag out?

Anyways, even though it's the same old story, same old song and dance, it's still fun to see new stuff out there.  The "Chase" theme continues with the inserts, which is getting old, but the "Making Their Mark" inserts look sharp, and the "Chase It Down"subset even includes two Padres (arguably the most disappointing guys on the team in Chase Headley and Cameron Maybin, but I'll take what I can get until Denorfia, Gyorko, and Blanks start seeing some action.  Of those three guys, Gyorko's the only one included in Series 2.  That'll be his rookie card, which will be a cool one to get.)

2 comments:

  1. Did Topps really waste a card for the "Defensive POY"??? What the hell is that anyways? And how long have they been awarding a "Defensive POY"? Is that a Topps thing or does MLB actually recognize a Defensive Player of the Year? I thought that's what Gold Gloves were for? I'm getting dizzy...I better just calm down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rivera is retiring. He's been doing his whole farewell tour this year kind of like Chipper Jones did last year.

    ReplyDelete