A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, June 24, 2013

A Trio Of Trading Treasures

As you can tell by my very clever alliteration in the heading, I received my end of three trades over the weekend, and it was all good stuff.  Normally, I hate not giving each trade it's own post, but summer school hasn't grinded to a halt yet, and I don't like getting behind on posting the goods.  Plus, I stopped by Walmart and picked up some 2013 Topps cards and want to post about those.  You know, because it's something new.

Anyways, first up is an envelope that came my way from Tom at the Halo-tastic The Angels in Order blog.  I've been reading his blog for so long now that I can't believe this is the first time that we've made a deal.  And he even lives in Texas, just a few hours from me!  He picked up some traded sets from 1992 and 1993 Topps, and had a bunch of teams up for trade.  I didn't have much to offer him, but I sent enough to pick up...

Benito Santiago's first Topps card not in a Padre uniform.  Though it was a bummer for Padre fans (and for Santiago's career), this is still a good looking card.  Looks like a spring training game with a cameo of HoJo, Howard Johnson.  That's some kind of nice.

I also picked up the entire Traded team set for 1992 Topps.  It's one of my favorite sets of all time, and was one of the first team sets that I put together after starting this blog.  As a kid, I saw the set as a major upgrade from 1991 - in card stock (no more gray, now a clean white) and design.  I think I might've been a little harsh in my judgement of '91 Topps, but I still like the '92 version better.

I was eight in 1992, and this would've been one of the most prized cards of my collection.  I've said it before, Sheff's was the batting stance that I ever learned to mimic.

The Traded set is numbered alphabetically, so Stillwell and Walters are near the end of the checklist.  I think I also liked the '92 set because it was the first year of the orange and blue uniform colors, replacing the brown, which I didn't like at all at the time.  Stupid kid.  As you can tell by the blog colors, I've since changed my ways.

Next up, another first time trade, this time with a Reds collector, an appropriately named, non-Communist blog by the name of Red Cardboard.  I've only recently come across his blog, but Matt is a major fan, and I always like the slant and bias that come from blogs that let their loyalties show.  

I was wondering how long it would take to get ahold of the Gwynn card from this year's Archives set.  Turns out, it didn't take long at all.  Not a huge fan of the aesthetics of this particular card, but I'll give it props since it's an unfamiliar shot of the Gwynnster, unlike...

These two cards.  Topps' laziness is an equally tired conversation, but since these came in the same package, I figured I'd point it out for the 1,000,001th time.  I already had the Allen & Ginter card (I actually gave it the distinguished title of "Card of the Year" in December), but the All-Star card, also from Archives, hasn't gotten to me yet.  I usually have a rule of not buying Tony Gwynn cards on eBay, but the 56 cent price tag was too good to pass up.  I guess I should've, but having two of these isn't a problem at all. 

Actually, there were a bunch of great cards that Matt sent my way, but unfortunately for me, I had the majority of them.  Fortunately for my fellow Padre fans, I'll be running a free card draft with all my dupes, so they'll still go to a good home.  I was glad to get this Chris Young card to add to my "Miscellaneous Padres" binder.  The uniqueness of seeing a non-airbrushed card with team names that don't match the uniform makes this one a keeper.

Last but certainly not least, I received a bubble mailer from Mr. Haverkamp, well known in the blogosphere for his generosity and friendliness.  I think he sent these as a consolation prize for his Giants cutting down my Padres winning streak the past week, including a game that he attended.  While I'd rather the Padres win, I'll take pity cards any day of the week, and twice on Saturday.  You know, to make up for the mail not coming on Sunday.

A double dosage of Benito!  This quickly went into my "Padre catchers in gear" portion of my "Sweetness" binder (a new binder, which holds all my Gwynns, relics, autos, vintage, and Padre catchers).  As a random note, one of the coolest things I ever bought anybody for Christmas was a pair of catchers shinguards that I bought for my little brother, Ammon, from a thrift store in our hometown.  Something about seeing the straps in this shot just reminded me of that.  I got him an Astros hat this Christmas, which was more expensive, and still cool, but not quite as cool as catchers gear.

Jim also hooked me up majorly with 1969 Topps.  As you can tell by looking at the sidebar, I am now OFFICIALLY halfway done with the Topps set from the Padres inaugural year.  Very awesome.  My goal in January was to finish one vintage team set, either from 1969, 1971, or 1973.  I finished '73 a few months ago and finished '71 a few days ago, and it looks like '69s days are numbered as well.  I meant to show how the first twelve look in the pages I put 'em in, but I guess that picture didn't save on my phone.  I'll definitely be posting that soon, after I get my "wrap up" post on the '71 set.  Luckily this "Zero-Year" card of Dave Giusti made it to the post.  Giusti was plucked by the Padres in the 1968 Draft from the Cardinals, and then traded back to them before the season started.

Of course, seeing as how every collector has plenty of '91 Fleer that they're looking to get rid of, he sent me a handful of cards I needed to complete the set.  Could've sworn that I already had the Radinsky card, and I recognize Aguilera's beard from my early days of collecting as well.  Glad to have 'em all.  Actually, after getting this package, I got another email saying that there would be only three that I would need to track down.  I'll be a happy guy when those get here (along with the remaining three).  Then to find enough pages to house the 700+ card set, and presumably some sunglasses with which to view them through.

All in all, a great weekend for making my way out to the garage to find binders and boxes to put new additions to the collection.  Sincerest thanks to all three traders, I can honestly say that I wouldn't be as into baseball cards if it wasn't for the "community" aspect of the whole thing, and trading's at the top of that list.  

I'm sure it also doesn't hurt that I'm collecting things that hardly anybody wants: Padres and 1991 Fleer.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog!

    I run a Sports Memorabilia site....take a look if you get a spare minute!

    regards

    Simon

    ReplyDelete