A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, June 15, 2013

100


I found out on Thursday afternoon that I had received my 100th “follower” on this here blog.  100!

My wife follows some interior design/lifestyle blogs that have obscene amounts of followers (in the ten thousands), so I’m not going to fool myself into thinking that I’ve hit it big by any stretch, but I’m still pretty satisfied that there are 100 people who at some point in their lives have read a post of mine.

In honor of the number 100, here is a look at the number as it pertains to, you guessed it, my San Diego Padres…

Damien Jackson played for the Padres from 1999 to 2001, and for one last year in 2005.  While he had only a modest career in San Diego (.243/.329/.356), he did have an 80.6% stealing rate, swiping 100 bags in 124 attempts.

Khalil Greene once seemed poised to become the best shortstop to ever play for the Padres.  In 2008, however, he would have his last season in San Diego with a disappointing .213 average, a broken hand from punching a water cooler, and an even 100 strikeouts in 105 games.

The Padres have had a player get over 100 RBIs only fifteen times in their history.  However, there have been three players that have hit exactly 100 RBIs in a season.

The first was Gary Sheffield in 1992, when he won the batting title and was in the running for the league lead in homers and RBI, making him the closest a Padre has ever come to winning the Triple Crown.

Second to land on the century mark was current hitting coach Phil Plantier, who did so in 1993.  At the time, the Friar faithful hoped that it was a sign of big things to come, but that total turned out to be an anomaly, as that would be the only year that his RBI total was higher than 50.

The most recent Friar to end a season with 100 ribbys was current Dodger Adrian Gonzalez.  In 2007, it seemed like Adrian would be covering first for a long time, playing in his second season in San Diego and leading the team in almost every offensive category, including runs, hits, doubles, homers, and RBI.  While I’ll eventually get used to seeing him in Dodger blue, I don’t think I’ll ever like it.

Last but not least, a horrible number to get in baseball… 100 losses.  The Padres have reached triple digits in the “L” column a few times in their early days, but the only time they ever landed on 100 even was in 1971.

Anyways, thanks for all those that read this crap.  I mean, I write because I like to write, it feels good to put my words and ideas out there, but knowing that people  think it’s worth reading is good for the occasional ego boost.

Anyways, I’ll let Flight of the Conchords finish this one up for me.


4 comments:

  1. When I grow up, I hope I have a blog with 100 followers...

    Congrats on reaching the century mark, buddy. Much deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was #100? Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on reaching #100.

    ReplyDelete