A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I'm Just A Huge Manatee

I am a sucker for the last two Heritage sets.  I wasn't back into collecting for all of the previous issues, so I'm not really too high on the previous editions, but something about the '63 and '64 designs with today's players that I really like.

Especially cool are when the minor league players get their cardboard due.  I'm not talking about the slick, airbrushed prospects in the Bowman sets.  I'm talking about the actual teams that the players actually play on.

Here are two of my most recent minor league additions, both from last year's Heritage set.


Casey Kelly played for the Tucson Padres last year, and was a favorite to win the 5th starter job for the big club out of Spring Training.  However, he got injured and had surgery again, so it looks like we won't see him until 2014.  Still, the bright blue at the bottom of this card looks sharp with the Friar blue of the AAA Padres.

Taylor Jungmann is my first non-Padre addition from this set.  He's from Temple, TX, about a 40 minute drive from where I live now, and he pitched as recently as 2011 for the Texas Longhorns.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see him pitch for UT, but I listened to the games on the radio and he sounded good.  Plus, he's playing on the Brevard County MANATEES!  It was begging to be picked!

I haven't seen a lot of these minor league Heritage cards out there in the blogosphere.  I can't be the only one who digs these, right?  I haven't come across these in packs at any retail stores, so I'm assuming that you have to be near a card shop to get them, or snipe them off eBay or COMC, which is what I did with these.

Anyways, the Padres are playing against the Orioles today, hopefully we can stop the skids after getting swept by the Rays.  Go Padres!

1 comment:

  1. I dunno. I think I'd rather be a Manatee than a Pelican. Stupid NBA... lol

    ReplyDelete