A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Mini GWYNNsday

I'll admit, the "psychedelic tombstone" look of 1972 Topps isn't a favorite of mine.  Still, a few of the similarly styled mini's from this year's Topps set have made their way into my binders.  I pulled a Mike Trout that looks good from my first pack of the season, and recently this one came into my possession via trade...


Here's a little nugget of trivia to go along with this little card:

Anthony Gwynn won eight batting titles in his career ('84, '87, '88, '89, '94, '95, '96, and '97), but his longest hitting streak was 25 games, which happened before he won a single batting title, in 1983.  Chase Headley currently has the longest hitting streak of the season for the Padres at twelve games.

A final note:  I've heard that vertical stripes are supposed to be slimming, but they don't seem to be doing the trick in this picture here.  What's the deal, Topps?

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Can you imagine the card if the stripes were lateral?! No way it could've been made into a mini...

    Can you imagine if Headley got to 26? That'd be so cool. If he can get through hits 18-21 w/ the Nats, I could see him getting there.

    ReplyDelete