A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day

Fact: I am a huge Padres fan.
Fact: I was born in Portland, Oregon.

How did I come to be said huge Padres fan?

My dad married a girl from San Diego, and after five years of living in the City of Roses, we moved to America's Finest City.  Even though I attribute my baseball fandom to my dad, I wonder what team affiliation I would've had if we hadn't moved out of Oregon.  Would I be a big Mariners fan?  Would I even follow baseball at all?  Maybe I'd channel all of my fanaticism towards basketball and the Blazers.  Who knows, really.

I guess you could say that I owe my Padres heritage to my mom.  Even though she's not a big sports fan, my grandma (her mom) is one of the biggest Padre fans I've come across.  It's rubbed off on me for sure.

As a kid, I remember playing catch with my mom, always asking her to throw harder (she kinda threw like a girl, but she gets a pass - and a few points for being a southpaw).  Still, I owe this blog to her influence on me from an early age.  Not from a sports aspect - from a writing aspect.

First of all, she read to us kids (there came to be seven of us) all the time.  As a kid, if I wasn't outside playing sports, I was inside reading a book.  More than likely, a stack of books.  I think she was kind of puzzled by my lack of interest in going to the pool or the beach.  It was weird to read a book there (at least as a kid) and there wasn't any real competition to be had in the pool, so what was there to like (okay, girls in bathing suits, but I wasn't Squints from The Sandlot as a kid - those hormones didn't kick in until middle school)?

My love of reading eventually bled over into writing.  I remember getting advice from her on writing assignments in school and always driving her crazy with not accepting her suggestions.  Still, her prodding usually led me somewhere, so it was good to have a mom who cared to bounce ideas off of (Disclaimer: My one piece of acclaimed writing was in 5th grade for the D.A.R.E. program, and she wrote it all herself.  I can't remember why, exactly, but I'm sure there was some reason.  I haven't had her write any of my blog posts though - yet).

As I've stated before, we also wrote in our journals every Sunday as kids, and I guess this is kind of follows some of the same lines as well.

Anyways, thanks for being a great mom, Mom.  It's weird now seeing how much alike you and Dad I've become, for better or for worse.  I am definitely your kid.


Happy Mother's Day, I love you so much.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. I do remember playing catch, I thought I threw pretty hard. Guess I was worried about you missing it and then having to chase it down the street. I remember you reading, lots of books. Baseball and reading, not a bad legacy to leave a child.

    ReplyDelete