A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, May 26, 2013

First Look At 2013 Bowman

As I stated yesterday, I picked up a rack pack of Bowman to take my mind off waiting to hear back from my recent job interview (still haven't heard anything, BTW).  To be honest, I bought a pack of the stuff a few days prior to this one, but there wasn't anything worth posting about.  Not that this was an amazing pack rip or anything, but it had enough of a variety to write about.

I'll start off with the only card that I'll be keeping for myself, which was also the first card that I pulled out of the pack.

In the rack packs, there is a bonus three pack of purple cards.  I have never heard of Matt Stites, and the  airbrushing on this card is glaringly obvious, but it's still a keeper.

Here are two of the best pitchers the Padres have had in the last decade.  The Latos trade was the better of the two, though the Peavy deal wasn't horrible.

Is Shelby Miller the next Bryce Harper?  The dude is 5-3 with a 1.74 ERA, and even though he couldn't beat the Padres, he's still pretty good.  Seems like a good early choice for NL Rookie of the Year, though hopefully Jedd Gyorko can give him a run for his money.

Here are two prospects that I've never heard of.  Wilfredo Rodriguez makes the blog because his catcher's mask has been tossed off as he tries to keep the base paths clear of would-be thieves.  Adalberto Mondesi is the son of former Dodger Raul Mondesi, one of the few Dodgers who I liked as a kid.

Here's the lone "Ice" card I pulled from the pack.  Never heard of Ismael Guillon, which is a theme that I'm sure most people are familiar with when they're looking through Bowman cards.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Bowman minis, but I really dig 'em.  Only looking for the Padres ones, though, so this one is up for grabs.  I have actually heard of Kolten Wong, though I'm not sure where or  when.

In case you were wondering, here are the "Top 5 Players in St. Louis Cardinals organization".

Hmm, I think some of the pictures I took on my phone didn't work out or something, but here's the back of a purple bordered chrome card of Edwin Diaz.  Thought it was cool that it was numbered 199 out of 199.

There were a few of the gold bordered parallels that come one per pack, but nothing that was worth re-taking a picture of, since something happened to the first one.  Adam Dunn, Matt Harrison, and some Yankee, I think.

Anyways, not a great pack by any stretch, but it served the purpose to take my mind off of "other stuff".  Like I said, everything besides the Padre card is up for grabs, and I'll work on adding the rest of the packs to the trade list soon.

3 comments:

  1. Set that Wong aside for me. I'll send you something good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, beat me to it.

      Anyways, I am interested in the Mondesi and any base cards you'd want to forfeit towards my complete set.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the look at your Bowman break. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, even though I like a lot of the photography I've seen from the set.

    By the way, good luck on the job front! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for ya!

    ReplyDelete