A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Clutch!

I had thought about doing another installment of my recently neglected "GWYNNsday" posts, but since the Padres pulled out a ninth inning comeback against the Orioles last night, a celebration is in order.

With the Friars trailing 2-1 in the top of the ninth with two outs, My Man Chris Denorfia lined a single back up the middle to tie the ballgame.  A few batters later, Everth Cabrera singled him home from second base.  Huston Street came in for the save, a game removed from his first blown save of the season on a walk off home run by Evan Longoria.  It was Jim Johnson's first blown save in 35 attempts.

Speaking of My Man Chris Denorfia, here are a few cards of his from his playing days as prospect for the Redlegs.  Love both of these Heritage cards, back before I was back in collecting and way before I even knew who Denorfia was, let alone how clutch he was.

Oh wait, there's a pair of non-Padre Benito Santiago cards on the blog?  That must mean that this is also a trade post from none other than Mark at This Way To The Clubhouse!  Dude is an awesome trader, blogger, person, etc.  And the hallmark of all of his trade packages are the non-Padre Benito cards, something that I didn't think I wanted at first, but now love to see.  Gotta love Benny in the Jays gear, though the slugger's pose with the Pirates looks sharp as well.

Here are a few other non-Padres that made it into the binders.  A beady-eyed Bud Norris gets me closer to finishing the Astros team set from this year's Heritage.  The Fernandoooooo! is from this year's Prizm set, which I actually kinda like.  I busted a few packs of the stuff over the weekend, but didn't get anything worth writing about.

Alright, enough of these non-Padre cards, onto the good old "SD" cardboard!  Aki Otsuka was a fan favorite during his Padre playing days, and the Caminiti also seems pretty cool.  The Bowman Chrome of Kyle Blanks is not only a rookie card, but very refractory and shiny.  It's super rad and looks better in hand than in this photo.

A few more additions to my player collections as well.  Khalil Greene isn't on any cards that are less than awesome, and speaking of shiny, this Yonder Alonso has it in spades.  Already had the base of the Alonso, very cool to have the diamond parallel.  I've seen heavily discounted 2011 Topps cards at Wal Mart and was tempted to pick some up, just to see the sparkly diamond cards.  Resist!  Resist!

Mark also sent me a slew of Darin Erstad cards.  I've read his recaps of the card shows he's gone to, and it makes me wish that we ran in the same circles, since my area of central Texas seems content with the one show that we have a year.  This is about half of the Erstad's that he sent.  How many cards did Darin have during his career?  A ton, and they seem to be readily available.  Thanks Mark!

Here is the final Erstad card I'll post.  A quartet of floating heads from the days when they were still just the Anaheim Angels.  A .355 batting average is nothing to sniff at, though 10 wins to lead your team isn't great.

Thanks again for the cards, Mark!  Always good to get cards from Delaware in the mail.  I've got a few PWE's coming your way... soon.  You know how the end of the school year can get.

1 comment:

  1. Few things make me happier of finding non-Padre Benny Santiago cards to send you :)

    ReplyDelete