A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, May 16, 2013

21 Years Later...

I'm not sure that this is always the case, but if you run a blog about cards, chances are, you enjoy "showing off" a little.  I think most of us are prone to it in our everyday lives as well, but when you come across something that's rare or cool or a super-refractor-relic-parallel-serial-numbered-autograph card, well, you want others to check out how awesome it is.

Some posts from you guys have made me a little jealous.  I've read posts about finding Hank Aaron's and Mickey Mantle's in bargain bins, ripping autographed Stan Musial's out of packs, etc, etc.  All very cool stuff.

But there was one particular post a while back that made me think, "Man!  I gotta get that!"  Fortunately, my tastes are a little on the simpler side, so it was a purchase that didn't break the bank.

The cards I'm referring to are the ones from the 1992 D.A.R.E. Safety set.  I mean, I think that's what they're called.  I'm not sure that they have a technical name, since there aren't even numbers on the back, and the card stock is only slightly thicker than paper.  A post by Duff at Bleedin' Brown and Gold made me think about how much I liked this set.

Sure, it's nothing fancy.  Plain white borders, simple name and position at the bottom, team logo at the top.  But I remember getting one of these when I was a kid!  The D.A.R.E. police officers came to Garden Road Elementary and told us not to do drugs (D.A.R.E. stands for Drug Abuse Resistance Education), and to hammer their point home, they passed out Padre cards.  How awesome was that?

Of course, I didn't get anybody good.  I wanna say it was Kurt Stillwell or Kevin Ward.  Tried to trade around, but didn't have any takers.  As a kid with good taste in cardboard, it was kinda hard to take such a flimsy card seriously, especially since there weren't any stats on the back.  "Fake" cards I believe I called them at the time.

I mean, how can you take something serious that has a mascot named "Bluepper" on it?  I need baseball players, none of this childish garbage!  I was in second grade!

Of course, as I've retraced my card collecting steps, I've fallen in love with all those things that I wasn't as excited about at first.  The brown and orange uniforms from earlier Padre days.  1991 Fleer.  And oddball sets that I didn't consider to be "real" cards.

I will say that I have always kept my D.A.R.E. pledge not to abuse drugs or alcohol, so that middle aged lady cop with the curly hair would be happy.

The Benito card at the top is the easy favorite of the set, but the "Padres Relievers" card is a close second.  The backs of the cards were a kick to read, between headlines like "BE A CHOOSER, NOT A LOSER" and lines like "Drugs are everywhere.  They're easy to get, easy to use, and even easier to get hooked on".  I mean, I get the idea of saying that it's easy to get hooked on, but easy to get?  I dunno, maybe I'm running in the wrong circles.

Or the right ones, I guess...

6 comments:

  1. Those are sweet. I like the "Let's Rap."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was given a pencil at one of these presentations one time that said "Too Cool to Do Drugs" on it. It wasn't a very well thought out slogan because when you sharpened it, it shrank to "Cool to Do Drugs" and later "Do Drugs" before finally just saying "Drugs"

    Cool cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each of these are killer cards. We share a favorite: Benito has never looked tougher (are those Oakley wrap-arounds?! whoa, I never had Oakley's, but...).

    That's the best Murph card I've seen, but "Bluepper" is no Chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Once a Cub ~

    That is classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those oddball sets.

    @Once a Cub
    That is too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Marcus - Glad to see you picked up the DARE set. They're a cool bunch of cards and have a whole lot of meaning for you.

    ReplyDelete