A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Top Five

As some of you may know, I am a 5th grade teacher.  If you've read a few of my more recent posts, I mentioned that things have been a little stressful at school since the kids were getting ready to take the STAAR test, which is the state test that the 5th graders have to pass to go onto middle school.

Well, the math and reading tests were last week, and we should be getting the results back ten days or so from now, so hopefully the kids were prepared.  Lord knows we did all we could to get them ready, but some kids can be like Teflon: nothing sticks.

Anyways, during the administration of the test, the teacher is supposed to walk around and make sure nobody is cheating.  If the students have any questions, we are basically supposed to give them a memorized response, along the lines of "sorry kid, I can't help you".  They have four hours to finish the test, and four hours is a long time to just be watching kids.

Instead of turning my brain off, I tried to keep it occupied.  I didn't really worry too much about "if I had prepared them enough", because I know that I've done all that I can do, and stressing now wouldn't really do anybody any good.  So I started making lists.

I thought about all the things I had to do after work that day.  Then about the things that I needed to get done for work for next week.  Then I thought about a few families from church that I'm trying to meet up with.  Then I thought about my favorite albums of all time, and then I thought about my all time "Favorite Friars" team.  That will make a fun post sometime, but today is not that day.

Today, I have a list of my favorite five cards that I received a few days ago from Duff, a fellow Friar fan who sent me a padded mailer of Padre perfection.  The dude runs a blog called Bleeding Brown & Gold, which is a title that I think is way better than mine.

5.
First up, Fred McGriff.  I normally don't show cards that I've already posted on the blog, but that's how much I like this card.

4.
I'll admit, I have a lot of boring Trevor Hoffman cards in my binders.  The dude was around for a long time, and they can't all be winners.  This one, however, is pretty sweet.  If you look closely, you can see that Hoffy isn't giving the world's lamest "thumbs up", but he's actually holding a pen in his hand.  I'll assume that he's handing it back to a fan after signing something.  That you can see a great shot of good 'ol Jack Murphy Stadium in the background is a big plus.

3.
This one might be a little high, but Duff gets major points for knocking a card off my "most wanted list".  While this isn't a spectacular card by any means, I now have all three of Geoff Blum's Topps cards during his Padre tenure.  One of them is an un-photoshopped picture of him in a White Sox uni, although the rest of the card indicates that he is playing for San Diego.  2005 was the year that he started with the Padres, then went to the Sox and helped them win the World Series, only to return to San Diego in the offseason.

2.
This is the most "swagger" I've ever seen Tony emote on a baseball card.  He's looking at YOU!  Not only pointing at you with his bat barrel, but with his pristine, batting-gloved finger.  I think that Pacific was one of the weirdest and lamest card companies, but they got this right.  And, it's numbered to 3,000.  In any number of packages, this one would've shot right up to the top of the heap.

1.  Here's what I think of this year's "Cut To The Chase" cards from Topps:  They're lame.  They're dumb.  They're just trying to come up with a "theme" that they can annoy us to death with and make more stupid, shiny cards that don't actually look good.  They - 

Oh, wait.  This one looks freaking awesome.  Mr. Gwynn in the 80s brown and orange?  I'll take this gladly.  But just this one; the rest of these are dumb.

This was my first card exchange with Duff, but I hope it won't be the last; having another Padre blogger can only be a good thing (unless the rest of you guys start sending everything his way instead of mine!).

Oh, and I'm sure you were all wondering...

Current top 5 favorite albums (not the "best" mind you, just my favorites):

5 - London Calling - The Clash
4 - The '59 Sound - The Gaslight Anthem
3 - Buying The Lie - Death on Wednesday
2 - Hi, Everything's Great - Limbeck
1 - Blue Album - Weezer

5 comments:

  1. No - London Calling in one of the best. You need to edit your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me happy that somebody said that. As far as "best" albums go, I'd have Blue Album and London Calling neck and neck, but I find myself listening to LC slightly less than the top 4 albums. I'd have Global A Go-Go by Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros right behind London Calling if I was to round out the top 10. Joe Strummer = musical genius.

      But y'all should check out those albums by Limbeck and Death on Wednesday, they're great. But I also collect Archi Cianfrocco cards and think that 1991 Fleer is awesome, so my tastes don't always jive with the majority.

      Delete
  2. I picked up that same McGriff card from a dime box a couple weeks ago. It's one of my new favorites. Love that Gwynn "bat barrel" card, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. London Calling = best album ever, as far as the art of an album goes. There are groupings of songs I like more, but you can't beat London Calling as a collection, a progression, a complete work of art. And I'd have to go Street Core, but Go-Go is pretty great.

    Man, I have to check out your other albums now. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Death on Wednesday and Limbeck are great bands, but they are also kind of nostalgia picks for me. Both are Orange County bands that I listened to a lot in high school and early college. Both were great live and were decent human beings.

      Couldn't have said it any better about London Calling.

      Delete