A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, April 1, 2013

Tables Tables Tables

Well, on Saturday, I had the chance to attend my second ever card show.  My first card show was about a year ago, right before I started this blog.  Both were put on by the same "company", although they had changed names now, according to the guy who took my two dollar admission fee.  This year's turnout seemed much improved from the previous year, and there was also a boxer by the name of Reggie "Sweet" Johnson who was there... doing something.  I don't know what, didn't really bother asking him.

Anyways, after reading countless card show recaps since starting this blog, I might've set my expectations a little too high, but it was fun looking at stuff and I talked to some interesting people, so I wouldn't go as far to say that I was disappointed at all.

Here's the breakdown on all of the singles I picked up, table by table...

First up was the "poor man's table".  The guy had lots of figurines and odds and ends, but only a sole binder with stickers on the pages to indicate the prices.  He was probably the only person there who had less cards that I do.

I came away with three scores.  The first is a Benito Santiago from '93 Leaf, which has the coolest card backs in the history of cards.  I'm not a fan of '91 Donruss, but I dig any and all Padres that are crowned as Diamond Kings.  Lastly, a Dale Murphy card that I didn't have.  I think the Murphy was the priciest of the lot at 41 cents.  Can't remember the total, but I remember that I paid in exact change, because that's how I roll.

The table next to him was the "autograph table".  It was predominantly football, and some of it was priced at over $700.  But, he had a few boxes of baseball cards that he took out from underneath the table for me.  I kept looking for some commons or something that were in my price range, but he didn't have anything like that.  He eventually showed me his box of "dollar" autographs, and I found a trio of Padres prospects.

Brad Brach is probably not a "prospect" anymore, since he threw seven innings in 2011 and 66 in 2012.  My favorite thing about Brach is that he was drafted in 2008 in the 42nd round.  To put that in perspective, there were 1,274 players taken before him.  I don't know when it changed, but currently there are only 40 rounds in the MLB Draft.  Also scored a Brad Boxberger, despite the fact that he's a USC guy.  Ug.

I dug the Heritage Minor League cards, and this Jerry Sullivan card looks sharp, despite the ridiculous Storm logo on the cap.  I love the Storm, they were the first minor league game I went to, but I wish their logo still looked like this.

Next up was the "Texas Team table".  If you wanted any Rangers or Astros cards, and you wanted to pay a heavy price for them, this was the table for you.  Fortunately, the guy had a small stack of Padres for me to pick through.  He tried to sell me on some high end Tony Gwynn cards that I didn't think were worth the money, but I was able to come up with...

A pair of Khalil Greene's that I didn't have yet.  Can't have too many Khalil's.

Also walked away with this sweet looking TG from 1995 Score.  The thing is very shiny, but in a very good way.  The guy informed me that it was a ten dollar card but was on sale for only a buck.  Whatever.

I also made this pickup.  I feel like I've seen this one recently on somebody else's blog, but I can't remember who.  Anyways, since Teddy is a former Friar, I always like finding cards of his, but this one is awesome, as it commemorates "His Only Major League Pitching Appearance".  Oh, I just found out what blog it was from.  Click here to find out the blog and find Ted's career ERA.

The last card I picked up from the "Triple T" was this card of Jerry Grote.  Grote was born in San Antonio, and currently still lives in central Texas.  I've heard him do interviews on one of the sports talk shows from Temple, TX, and at one point he was doing radio work for the Round Rock Express.  He had some pretty interesting stories to tell about catching knuckleballers (which was his expertise) that I should write about in a different post.  I love the '73 design, and to get a card of a great catcher in a great shot is pretty cool, and only cost me a few quarters.

Our fourth table was the "Wheelin' and Dealin'" table.  This guy was pretty animated and had lots of stories to tell.  I made the mistake of asking an innocent question and hearing about other stuff for a few minutes longer than I cared for.  Nice enough guy, though.  He had some cool stuff to sell, including a couple of seats from Cowboy Stadium.  He tried to sell me on a Tony Gwynn jersey card that I had never seen before.  It actually looked really sweet, and I was able to "talk him down" from $20 to $7 (all I kept saying was, "No, I don't want to spend that much on one card"), but I still didn't bite.  Here are the ones I did bite on...

A Podres card in an imitation '69 design, his only year with the Padres.  He went 5-6 with a 4.31 ERA. The Andy Benes is cool looking and shiny, and who doesn't love a Fernando card when he's batting?  Is there a pitcher who has more cards than Fernando with a bat in their hands?  I'd doubt it.

I thought this Eckstein looked pretty cool.  I'm not super jazzed on the Gypsy Queen design this year, and my goal is to not buy any packs.  The ones that I saw at the WalMart in town were also just really expensive, and I think Flagship/Opening Day/Heritage is more in my price range.  Feel free to send any Padres my way, however.

Lastly, a shiny Ben Davis card to add to my "Padres catcher in gear" section of my binder.

The second to last table that I hit was the largest of them all.  To be honest, I was kind of circling this one like a vulture for a while.  This was the dreaded "Overpriced Vintage" table.  The most wonderful table for those with means, and the most heartbreaking for those of us who have more important things to do with our hard earned dollars.

I was hoping to finish off either my '71 or '73 Padres team sets, but I only found one from each set that I needed, and all could be had for much cheaper online, so I turned my attention over to the '69 set.  I only had five in my collection when I woke up that morning, but when I went to bed that night...

I had two more.  Murrell was also one that I needed from the '71 set, but that one's a high number card, so it was out of my league.  There were three other '69 Padres at the table, but these were the cheapest, so they're the only ones that made it home.

The last table was the "I'm Not Sure Why I'm Here" table.  The guy was nice enough and a little overdressed for the occasion, and all of his cards were of the "very new" variety.  He had a printed out list that he needed to refer to for every little thing.  It seemed kinda like he was just helping somebody out, not the actual proprietor.

He had the complete set of this year's "Spring Fever" that wasn't available in retail, only from card shops.  I overheard some guys say that the LCS near us (about 40 minutes away in Temple, TX) had finally shut down.  I'd been wanting to go for a while, but it was overpriced and way out of the way, so I guess that's the way it goes.  This Joyner set me back a whole 50 cents.  Not too shabby.

There were a few other things that I picked up at the show, but I'll save those for another post.  As far as singles go, there were some decent pickups for sure, especially the vintage cards, and I'm glad that I was able to stick to a small budget (well, that was kind of out of necessity).  Still, not a whole lot to "write home about"(and no "dime boxes"), but a fun little diversion nonetheless.

Best of luck to all of your teams on Opening Day!  Except for Mark's Mets, who will hopefully start the season 0-3.  Sorry buddy.

2 comments:

  1. That sparkly Score Summit card is awesome. Those are pretty rare and surprisingly thick.

    If they still had the monthly card show this weekend, I missed it to see the Marlins play their New Orleans-based AAA affiliate Zephyrs. Saved a little money, I guess.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dodgers just helped the giants get off to an 0-1 start. :)

    ReplyDelete