A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Out of the Blue


Matt from the excellent blog Once A Cub (who is apparently my twin in the blogosphere) sent me over a package a while back full of cardboardy goodness.  I've only opened one pack of this year's Opening Day set, and while it was enough to get a great play at the plate card, I wasn't lucky enough to pull any of those fancy blue bordered cards that people have been comparing to this year's green parallels from the flagship set.  These look goooood.  Much better than Street's current 7.20 ERA in five innings.

 I thought this was a pretty nice mix of cards; the Friars current manager sporting the gray away jerseys with the blue and white cap.  Bip is shown here swinging away in the late 80s/early 90s orange and brown.  Last but not least, Original Padre Fred Kendall shown in his second stint with the Padres feeling groovy in the brown and gold.

 I am not a fan of the 1991 Leaf set.  Borders with color in them are awesome, and while I guess that gray is a color, it's a pretty boring idea for baseball cards (sorry Gypsy Queen).  I actually got the complete set when I was a kid (I think my grandparents gave it to me?), but I totally destroyed it - the reorganizing of players by teams, names, positions, etc, and eventually I was missing a bunch of 'em.  

Anyways, while I had the McGriff and Benes cards earlier, I'm glad to have them again.  If anyone can name the band that did the song "Freeze Frame" without looking it up online, props to you.  Great song, and great card of Mr. Gwynn.

While I like cards with color in the borders, 1990 Topps was a little too... loud for my liking.  Still, this Fred Lynn card from the traded set looks cool.  I'm not a huge John Kruk fan, so I guess I'll allow a mini version of this card into the binders. 

Matt also hooked me up with not one, not two, but five autographed cards.  Only showing a few of 'em here, but here are a pair of Padre prospects.  Dustin Hermanson had the best signature of the bunch, and probably had the best career out of all of them.  The only cards of Hermanson that I have in the binders are ones that say "Prospect" or "Draft Pick", just because he was a big deal when he first came out, and he didn't really pan out for San Diego, going 4-1 with a 7.35 ERA in 34 games.  Still, I always like seeing Hermanson cards in packages.  The only reason why I've heard of Trey Beamon is because he had a cool rookie card that I showed here.

Okay, maybe it could be said that Craig Shipley had the best career out of the lot.  San Diego's favorite Aussie had a career average of .271 with 20 homers and 138 RBIs.  He was with the Padres from 1991-94, and then again from 1996-97.  I like these Leaf cards, mostly because it's the only set with a certified autograph of Archi Cianfrocco.  That one's still on the "do not have yet" list.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the sweet cardboard Matt!  Dude's a great trading partner and runs a sweet blog, so if you've got any cards of players who were once Cubbies, send 'em his way!

5 comments:

  1. I have to wonder where Matt got all of those Leaf Singatures cards...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The J. Giles Band. Geez . . . Some people's kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J. Giles, no guessing required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think such super fans would've gotten the spelling of the J. Geils Band right. I also would've accepted Snoopy & the Sopwith Camels.

      Didn't know that they were the ones that did "Centerfold" as we'll, but now I totally hear it. I thought all you guys listened to was Journey/Boston and Elton/Billy. What gives?

      Delete
  4. Are you sure it wasn't the Brian Giles Band? ;)

    Glad the cards made it to you!

    And to answer Roy-Z, I picked up a lot of about 30+ miscellaneous autographs just to get one Cubs card. The rest have been filling team collector trade bait packages. They're the type of players that most people wouldn't necessairly buy for themselves but would more than welcome them into the collection.

    ReplyDelete