A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Minor Additions

This is my 300th post, just a few days after this blog hit the one year mark.  What better way than to celebrate than with a pair of new cards for my Archi Cianfrocco collection?

In my "saved searches" on my eBay account, I have the word "Cianfrocco", and whenever I log on, it's usually the first one I check (though that might be because the searches are in alphabetical order, and I named the search "Archi").  A while back, I found a listing that had 50 Cianfrocco cards, although there were plenty of duplicates, so there were about 34 different cards.  It was a pretty impressive selection of cards, though I had about 85% of them already.  I emailed the seller and asked if I could just take a few of that I needed for a reduced price, and they kindly obliged, which was awesome.

Here's one of Archi during his days with the Harrisburg Senators...

Did I say "Archi"?  I meant Arcie!  I'm not sure if Angelo was still toying with how to spell his nickname, or if this was a company error, but it's cool to have.  These Line Drive "Pre Rookie" sets seem pretty cool - don't actually have any besides this one, but have seen plenty online.  You can tell that Archi used to ride his bike to practice as a kid, because sticking your glove on your bat like that is usually done so you can still steer your ride with one hand and keep your gear safely in the other.

The other card was from Archi's days with the Jacksonville Expos...

Dang it!  Did I say "Archi"?  I meant "Archie"!  The only other Cianfrocco minor league card I have is also from his days in J-ville.  Apparently he was their third baseman, though in Harrisburg, he would become a regular old infielder.  For some reason, this pose reminds me of Little League picture day, though I'm not sure if this was a pose that I ever struck.

Very cool to land these.  There is a guy selling Cianfrocco minor league cards for $13 each, so that made these ones look like a complete steal in comparison.

Hope ya'll are having a good Wednesday!  I need to get back into the groove with my GWYNNsday posts, but I'm still trying to catch up on a lot of other planned posts that have been sitting half finished in my "draft" folder.

By the way, if you google "Archi Cianfrocco", a tribute post that I wrote on him is the 8th suggestion.  Thought that was pretty neat.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on 300 posts! I doubt I would've ever known who Cianfrocco was had I not started reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on, Marcus! Congratulations on 300 and your first year blogging! This is yet another reason why I'm so impressed with all you Lords of the Blogosphere...great posts, solid writing, cards that consistently have me going to Ebay and other sites to see if I can get a copy.

    I just read your Cianfrocco tribute from February 1. Your paragraph about his background reminded me a lot of a great Italian-American read by John Fante, "Wait Until Spring, Bandini." If you haven't read it, perhaps check it out? And, which HS did his son go to in North County?

    BTW, when I searched "Archi Cianfrocco," as you recommended, it was THIS post that came up. And, at spot 4! Way to take over the interwebs!

    ReplyDelete