A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Kind of a Big Deal

A keen reader of yesterday's post will know that I am now, officially, Kind of a Big Deal.

After writing a clever title for my post on Andrew Cashner's performance against the Giants, Matt from Once A Cub pointed out that a Yahoo Sports writer wrote on the same topic and used a very similar title.  Could it be that people are checking out my blog for the latest and greatest information on the Padres?

Probably not, most likely it was just a coincidence.  Still, maybe...

Anyways, as if that wasn't enough, apparently Bud Black is a reader, as he took my advice on sitting Will Venable and starting Big Kyle Blanks in right field and keeping Chris Denorfia in center.  Yesterday's lineup was as good as I've seen it look all season.  And what was the result?

Denorfia went 2 for 6 with 2 RBIs and a run scored.
Blanks went 3 for 6 with an RBI and a run scored.
Venable went 0 for 1 as a pinch hitter.

Oh, and the Padres won.

Hopefully Venable can get back on track, but while Blanks is hitting, I say you gotta go with the hot bat.  Speaking of hot bats, it'd be hard to find a person more responsible for the Padres win last night than Yonder Alonso.  Dude hit three doubles, had two RBI and scored twice, including the decisive run in the bottom of the 12th inning.

I've got some great Yonder Alonso cards, and this one is probably in my top five.  Scored this one off of COMC.com's end of the year sale for a few quarters.  Love the wrapper redemption cards from last year.  Liked this one especially since Yonder wasn't included in the flagship set as a Padre.

Anyways, I'm glad that my influence is so far reaching.  I don't blog for the money, I blog for the power.  Dance, puppets!  Dance!

Okay, I'm just joking about that last part.  Especially since the lineup that I thought was so good combined for ten strikeouts, while pinch hitters and pitchers added two more.  That the Padres were able to come back from being down 5-0 and score SIX runs in the fourth was awesome, but the win could also be contributed heavily to Marco Scutaro's error on a surefire double play grounder that could've ended it in the 12th.  He couldn't find the handle, Alonso jogged in from third, and the Padres celebrated their third win in a row.  Three!  That's some kind of nice!

Bud Black can thank me later.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet Alonso, Marcus! I haven't seen anything from that series...looks great.

    Thanks for getting into Black's head! I'm a Blanks fan, big time (not that I don't like Venable) and it was great to see him contributing.

    What a game, last night! 3 more hrs until another possible screamer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your Padres sweep of my Giants! Hopefully we can forget about this series and move onto Arizona and turn it around.

    ReplyDelete