A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Daves Attic Pt. 2: Legendary

I was hoping to get this post done yesterday, but I had to make an impromptu errand run and got back pretty late.  Ran out to Taylor, TX to get a headboard for my daughter's bed.  My wife's excited to shine it up, and I'm excited that it only cost fifteen bucks.  Drove around Taylor for a minute or two before leaving, and stumbled across an honest to goodness sandlot!  Looked like a Little League team was practicing, but most of them were in jeans and the grass was all patchy and it looked like it was out of an old movie.  It was pretty cool to see.  Taylor is a little run down, but it has it's nice points.

Anyways, onto baseball cards.  I teased that I was going to show off some killer stuff that my father-in-law, Dave, sent to me.  I'm going to go ahead and show the best stuff first.

Okay, for the first card, the picture's not quite as sharp, because the card is sandwiched between some super thick plastic.  This thing is definitely protected...

In case you can't tell, this is a card from 1992 Score, signed in gold marker by Stan "The Man" Musial! I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of the Cardinals, but how can you not love an autograph by one of the all time greats?

According to the back, it's numbered out of 2,000.  Very cool.  I'm not sure what will happen to my thick binders full of random Padres who never amounted to much, but I'd like to imagine that this would be something that my son Foster might want to hang on to.

However, the legendary autographs didn't end there...

Larry Bird!  Like I've said before, basketball cards aren't really my thang (unless it's Clyde Drexler or another random early 90s Blazer), but how can you not appreciate an on card autograph of one of the all-time greats?  Another one that will hopefully stay in the family.

Running low on time here, so here are some more highlights that are definitely worth showing.  I'll let the pictures do most of the talking...

Rickey Henderson Rookie Card.

Ignore the baby toys in the background, this is actually an oversize card of "His Airness" during his pre "Space Jam" days.  There are a few of these, so look for a few in the upcoming "trade bait" post.

A few 1991 Topps Desert Shield cards.

Tom Selleck on a baseball card?  Oh yes.  Two basketball cards in the same post?  Definitely.  Though both Selleck and Bill Walton are sporting facial hair, there's one that particularly attracts the ladies.  I'll let you guess if you're not sure.

Here are some more future former Friars that will make their way into the binders.  I'm not really a Phil Nevin fan, but since I spent a year at Cal State Fullerton, where he had a ton of success in college, I'll be holding on to this one.

Last but not least, some cards that don't have nearly the "value" of some of the cards above, but still show some interesting photography.





Thanks again for the cards, Dave!  I need to get the trade bait post up and going because my garage is getting full of stuff!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, cool cards. I'd be super careful taking that Musial auto out of it's plastic tomb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that Musial card. I do not have his auto, tho. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Musial is sweet! Congrats on the additions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Love the Musial, and I'll have to pick up a copy of that Show card for my "musical" collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stan Freakin' Musial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    That is some way cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete