A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Vacation Recap

Whew, we're back in Texas!  What a great trip!  As much as I love living in Texas, it's always a little bittersweet having to leave San Diego.

Just to recap a bit, we flew into Oakland and were picked up by my brother-in-law James.  He took us immediately to In-N-Out, and then to his apartment in Vacaville.  The next day we went to the Train Museum in Sacramento and met up with more in-laws and stayed with the McGuire's in Manteca.  I got to meet a niece for the first time and see how much bigger my other niece and nephew looked.  Took family pictures in a beautiful almond orchard and played in a splash park with the kiddos.

Also got to hang a lot with my brother-in-law Nate.  Played a few soccer games with him at Big League Dreams (an awesome sports park that has replica major league stadiums) and a few basketball games with some of his buddies from church.  Glad to add some more memories with him, since the only time that we've ever really hung out was when we were shivering under a blanket at the Poinsettia Bowl a few years back.  Hey, it gets cold in San Diego sometimes!


The kids were having so much fun playing with each other that we stayed in Manteca for a day longer than we planned.  We made our way back down to San Diego on Wednesday afternoon, and on Thursday, we went to...

Disneyland!  My daughter had an absolute blast, I feel bad for her, since the rest of her life will only go down from here.  She didn't go on many rides, but was so excited to see all the characters.

There was no time to rest after Disneyland, because on Friday, I headed out to Peoria, AZ with my dad, a brother, and a cousin.  I'll give that trip it's own post, but it was way fun.  And way hot.  But mostly way fun.  Got to take a few cool action shots with my dad's fancy camera (though I didn't realize how cool it was until the later innings, when most of the good players were taken out), and scored a few autographs as well.

As far as baseball cards go, I was able to stop by the card shop nearest to my in-laws house in Escondido.  Apparently, all the other shops in North County are closed, so while I'm not the biggest fan of this one, at least it's still open.  I dug through the "discount" box for a while and was able to come up with a few decent finds.  Nothing that I would consider a "steal", but all good additions to my collection, and all Hall of Famers.

Starting off with a pair of Hall of Fame pitchers.  Goose looks super young without the 'stache, almost didn't recognize him.  Not sure why Topps decided to go with this shot of Bert, but it's the main reason that I picked it up; haven't seen much bubble gum on cards from the 70's.

This was the big pick up of the trip.  I've been wanting a Harmon Killebrew card from his playing days for a while, and even though he's sharing the space with Bob Allison, I thought this was a pretty slick looking piece of cardboard.  The only other card from 1967 Topps is Willie McCovey, but at least it's got company now, and this one was considerably cheaper and in better condition.

I also picked up a cheap jumbo pack of one of my all time favorite sets, 1991 Fleer.  It was the first set I ever ripped, so it's got a special place in my heart.  Joyner, Vaughn, and Guillen are all players that I collect, so those were cool to get.  The Vizcaino card features a sliding Bip Roberts in the foreground, and I really liked the background of the Ken Williams card, who is currently the White Sox general manager.

Also got to spend time with the rest of my family, including seeing how big my nephew Watson is and hanging out with my sister Hannah before she leaves for Italy.  All good times, and not enough time to see enough of everybody.

Still, it's good to be back where I belong.

As a teaser for an upcoming post, my father-in-law let me rummage through some cards that he acquired during the early/mid 90's, when he got a little bit of the collecting bug.  Here is one of the boxes he had.


There was some really good stuff in there.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the Peoria post. Glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad Bert's card doesn't feature him lighting someone's shoelaces on fire. lol

    ReplyDelete