A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, March 25, 2013

The Other 29: Indians


As a countdown to the 2013 season, I'll be doing a feature on each Major League team.  This has been done before - probably better - in other places by other people.  I'll try to mix it up as much as I can though.  I am listing the teams in order of proximity to my current location; central Texas.  I'll be doing one of these posts (hopefully) every other day sporadically, with the last post featuring the Padres on Opening Day. Enjoy!

Well, today is March 25, and by my watch, there are only six days until Opening Day.  I’ve been slacking on “The Other 29” posts, but with vacation and then a slew of trade posts to get through, I won’t be close to finishing by April 1 (March 30 is not Opening Day, the season starts when the Padres take on the Mets). 

However, this is team #17, so we’re at least past the midway point.  I just may finish this thing.

On to Cleveland!

DISTANCE?
1,345 miles.

DO I LIKE 'EM?
Meh.

SHARE MY FEELINGS?
Things that come to my mind when I think of Cleveland:  Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, Drew Carey, Betty White,  Rick “Wild Thing” Vaughn, and angry mobs burning LeBron jerseys.  Then the Indians.

For what it’s worth, I like that they’re still called the Indians and haven’t caved in to any “politically correct” groups calling for a name change because they think it’s racist.  Maybe it’s just because I’m an insensitive non-Native American, but it doesn’t bother me.  “Redskins” still kinda surprises me, though.

In my last year of Little League, my team was the Indians.  We were pretty lousy.

My two favorite Indians are Omar Vizquel and Asdrubal Cabrera.  Have the Indians had a bad short stop in recent history?

FRIAR CONNECTIONS?
Joe Carter is the first player that comes to mind who played for both teams, though he had the most success with the Blue Jays.  I seem to have a few Josh Barfield cards that show him in a Padre uniform, but have an Indians logo on them, since he was traded to Cleveland for Kevin Kooooooouzmanoff.  Damian Jackson, who reminded me a lot of Josh Barfield, was drafted by the Indians and later made his way from the Reds to the Padres when we traded away my man Greg Vaughn.

FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Omar Vizquel
 

Current: Asdrubal Cabrera
 

LEAST FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Albert Belle

Current: Nick Swisher?  But maybe it’ll rub off now that he’s no longer a Yankee.

FAVORITE CARDS?
I don't have very many "good" Tribe cards.  I would consider these to be my favorites.  The middle card of Sandy Alomar is one of my favorite non-Padre cards of all time.  I like Tom Candiotti, and finding cards of him not in a Dodger uniform is always a bonus.  I love Asdrubal Cabrera, and that is a very shiny card of his, though I prefer shots like the one at the beginning of the post, since he's mostly known for his glove.

The obligatory 1992 Pinnacle portion of the post.  Jim Thome was one of the big rookies from the set.  Felix Fermin has a pretty awesome photo in this one, I'm assuming he was jumping on a trampoline during this shot.  And that would be Kenny Lofton driving the lane in the middle.

A couple of horizontal cards here, displayed vertically.  Why did I do that?  I don't know.  I do know that that is a pretty snazzy card of Carlos Baerga, and the Aaron Cunningham card from last year's Topps set is pretty great as well.  They are also both former Padres, so I probably should've mentioned them in the "Friar Connections" section.

PREDICTIONS?
Michael Bourn keeps doing his thang as a member of the Tribe, while Trevor Bauer has some rocky moments, showing flashes of brilliance in the American League.  Chris Perez continues to look like a character from a Geico commercial, and Carlos Santana still doesn’t play the guitar as well as the other guy named Santana.

No comments:

Post a Comment