A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Musical GWYNNsday

Written a while back, finally getting it's space...

Over the weekend, I was driving around running some errands, and I got completely fed up with the annoying sports talk (seriously, is the NFL combine the only thing in sports worth talking about right now?), so I flipped over to my iPhone's music library (yes, I recently became one of those people who has their music on their phone).  Man, it felt like forever since I'd listened to music for more than ten minutes!

My commute to work is pretty short, and living in a small town means that the furthest drive is to the grocery store, which takes about seven minutes.  But since I was in a neighboring town, I was out for about an hour and listened to some familiar tunes.  Really nice.

It got me thinking of an analogy for the blog.  I started drifting away from sports little by little when I got really into music in high school.  While my musical tastes have changed somewhat since my high school days, a few of the bands I started listening to in high school still get a lot of play a decade later.  

So the question is, what bands can I relate to players I collect?  Bear with me here, see if the connections make sense.  Sorry if you've never heard of any of these bands.  Really, you're missing out.

Tony Gwynn was Mr. Popular.  Everybody knows Tony.  Everybody loves Tony.  To say that he was your favorite player was like saying that like saying that "rock" was your favorite genre or that Ms. Dixon was the hottest teacher on campus.  Probably true, but not the most original choice.

Weezer was the band when I was in high school.  My first arena concert was seeing them at the Cox arena in San Diego.  Jimmy Eat World and Tenacious D opened, and it was pretty awesome.  Still, how cool was it to like a band that (seemingly) everybody was a fan of?

By the way, their first album (The Blue Album) is still one of my favorite albums of all time.

Next up is Steve Finley.  Fins wasn't quite a household name, but he was a two time All-Star and won a Golden Glove five times, so the dude could play.  Still, you had to be an actual baseball fan to know who he was.  Or you could be like my sister-in-law who went to a game and saw him on the jumbo tron and thought he was cute, and know him for his good looks.

The Clash were much more popular than Steve Finley ever was, especially in the late 70s/early 80s (although I can't speak for how handsome they were considered to be).  However, by the time I was in high school, the music was old and dated and definitely not as popular.  You had to be someone with good musical taste to know that The Clash had more songs than just "Rock The Casbah" and "Should I Stay Or Should I Go".

Another musical side note: London Calling = incredible.  Give 'Em Enough Rope = underrated.

You probably saw this one coming.  Archi Cianfrocco's career with the Padres was short (parts of six seasons, usually as a guy off the bench) and not incredibly noteworthy.  Still, for diehard Padre fans, there is no denying how awesome Archi was for the team, being able to play eight different positions and come off the bench at a moments notice.  This card came to me from Dimebox Nick, and I believe it's the only card of Mr. Utility that features him in catcher's gear, which makes this even more awesome.

If you are like the rest of the world, you have never heard of Death On Wednesday.  That's okay.  They were a punk band from Orange County and played a lot of shows in the Southern California area during my high school years, and I saw 'em play probably a dozen times.  SOOOO good live.  Their recordings aren't bad, but don't hold a candle to their live performances.  They seemed destined for greatness (or at least moderate success) in my 17 year-old mind, but, alas, broke up when I turned 19 and never got the notoriety that they deserved.  Unknown and under appreciated.

Anyways, you may or may not see the correlation between the bands and the players, but this is mostly just a poorly veiled attempt to post some songs that I really like on a blog that is dominated by baseball cards.

6 comments:

  1. I associate songs more with years and therefore card sets.

    Like when I hear Average White Band's "Pick up the Pieces,'' I think "'75 Topps.'' Or Billy Preston's "Space Race,'' I think "'72 Topps.''

    OK, I'm dating myself a bit here. Better stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eagle's Hotel California - 1977, First year of living in California, year my oldest son was born - Also the 1977 Topps set with the hughe team name on top - fave. Rollie Fingers and his moustache.

      Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits - 1979, Getting the new satelite communication system on our ship and receiving the two-week training - Topps Set - Ozzie Smith, with those mutton chops sticking out from under his helmet.

      Delete
  2. I had a feeling you'd like that Cianfrocco card when I included it in the package. I knew of his "utility guy" label before, but I didn't think that extended to the catching position.

    I keep thinking that I should try listening to more Weezer, I really need to sit down and listen to their catalog one of these days. And, next to the Ramones, the Clash are easily my favorite band out of the late '70s "punk" scene. "Train in Vain" is probably my favorite song off of London Calling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old Weezer rules. Pinkerton is also a bloody masterpiece.

    Now they totally suck, but those two albums are immortal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seconded! I'll admit, the Green album is what got me into them in the first place, but the first two they put out are their best. By far.

      Delete
  4. I don't know if you were ever into them, but as a guy in So Cal in the 80's I was big on TSOL. Their later stuff wasn't all that great, but the early stuff rocked.

    ReplyDelete