A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, March 25, 2013

Missing Home


Does anybody else like 2004 Studio cards?  While some of Studio's past issues have been a little rough on the eyes for me, I'm a fan of this particular edition.

Ok, scratch that, I only have one card from that set.  It happens to be the above card of Aki Otsuka, which I got from Tim over at Home of the Toddfather.  What can I say, I've been home for less than a week, and I'm already thinking of San Diego again.  But just look at the skyline!  Sun setting, boats on the water... what else do you need?

Anyways, onto the highlights of the rest of the goods sent from the Volunteer State...

A sweet looking pair of Gwynns.  I'd never seen this 1992 Stadium Club "All-Stars" card of Capt. Video before, so I emailed him and snatched it up off his "trade bait" page.  The Goodwin Champions card is also cool because it's part of the "Preview" set, and looks a lot better than the card that came in the actual set.

Here's the back of the Stadium Club card.  Not sure when it was released, but seeing as how it's a card from 1992, and it has his first half stats from that year, I'm guessing it was near the end of the year.  And look, his home is Poway, my hometown!

I've seen this Hoffman card on other blogs a handful of times before, and I'm glad to say that I've got my own copy now.  Oh Trevor, what a cut-up.


Here is a quartet of cardboard that's making it way into my Player Collection binder.  I need to create a master list of Archi Cianfrocco cards.  I have 31 total, and besides fancy parallels, I have to think that I'm getting pretty close to a complete set.  The Skybox Finley is marred by an note that says he signed with the Diamondbacks in the offseason.  Don't remind me...

Last but not least, a Pacific card of my all-time favorite Angel, Darin Erstad.  The card looks decent enough, but a closer look shows that this vicious hack is actually just a harmless foul ball, as the ball is just below the "S" in his last name.  Oh well.

Anyways, a great set of cards, some that make me a little homesick, but I'll be fine.  The hardest part of any activity post-vacation is getting back into the swing of things at work, so once things settle down there, I'll be back into a groove in my life in good 'ol Texas.  Thanks again for the cards, Tim!

2 comments:

  1. I've always been a fan of the 04 Studio set. I like the city backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the whole set (no-SPs) bindered. It's magnificent.

    ReplyDelete