A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, March 17, 2013

I'm Down with OPC

The vacation is winding down and this will likely be my last post from America's Finest City.  Monday will be spent trying to cram in the handful of things that we haven't gotten to yet (including me going to Submarina and getting the ARB - avocado roast beef sandwich), and Tuesday will be spent moving like a herd of turtles to the airport for our 2:00 pm flight / making our way back to our central Texas home.

I'll post a full recap of the vacation for all the inquiring minds out there once it's finished, and it'll include some sweet new additions to my collection/other people's collections.  I don't want to get too much into it now, but a lot of it was very unexpected.

Anyways, before getting back to the mayhem of school before STAAR testing (the state test that my 5th graders will need to pass in order to move onto 6th grade) and the general controlled chaos of my life back home, I thought I'd post a card that came my way via eBay the day before we left for San Diego.

It's a good one.

I've been needing some kind of Tony Gwynn rookie card for... I dunno, a long time?  Being the cheapskate that I am, I've always put in some lowball offers on eBay, and haven't really been in the same ballpark as the winning bids.  Finally, I bit on a non-Topps version of a Gwynn RC and came away with the almost identical 1983 O-Pee-Chee.

Being a red-blooded American, I'm not normally drawn to cards that were produced in Canada and are written partially in French.  However, for a cheap(er) version of a Gwynn rookie, I made an exception, one that I'm perfectly fine with.

In case you were wondering, on 19 julliet: 2 coups surs en 4 presences, un point produit et un point marque des son premier match dans les majeures.  Not too bad for your first game.  If I was an expert in the differences between Topps and O-Pee-Chee, I might have more things to tell you about this here card.  However, the one thing I will say is that Tony's card number in the Topps set is 482, while it appears in the OPC set as 143.  Now you know.

I had considered showing the music video to "OPP" by Naughty By Nature, but after listening to the lyrics, decided against it since I didn't endorse the meaning behind the song.  Anyways, glad to add this to the Gwynn section of my binder, now the oldest member of the growing group.

2 comments:

  1. oh my o-pee-chee!

    nice pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card. In my books, that's the coolest Gwynn rookie.

    ReplyDelete