A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, February 18, 2013

The Other 29: White Sox

As a countdown to the 2013 season, I'll be doing a feature on each Major League team.  This has been done before - probably better - in other places by other people.  I'll try to mix it up as much as I can though.  I am listing the teams in order of proximity to my current location; central Texas.  I'll be doing one of these posts (hopefully) every other day, with the last post featuring the Padres on Opening Day. Enjoy!

First off, Happy President's Day!  Hope yaller enjoying it.  I'm probably enjoying it more than most, since there is no school today.  Well, in the district that I'm teaching in, there is no school.  I live just outside the school district, and in the district where I live, there is school today, because there was a two week stretch where the schools were receiving bomb threats and got cancelled, so school is in session to make up for lost time.  Sorry guys.

Anyways, onto a team that I thought was "the bomb" a few years ago... your 2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox!

Not sure which was lamer, using the phrase "the bomb", or putting it in quotes.

THE DISTANCE?
1,127 miles.

DO I LIKE 'EM?
Yes!  My number 2 team, alternating with the Rangers.

SHARE MY FEELINGS?
I spent two years in Chicago as a missionary for my church (2003-2005).  Awesome experience.  Not focused on baseball at all, but I was still able to attend a few Sox games.  I remember Timo Perez hitting a walk off single in one of them.  US Cellular seemed like a pretty decent field, despite being nicknamed "The Cell".

Returning home to San Diego in 2005, I actually looked into the Sox and turns out, they were pretty good!  I got home in August, just in time to watch the October heroics of Paul Konerko, Jermaine Dye, and the dominant Sox pitching staff.  Since then, I've been a big fan of Paulie, Ozzie, Mark Buehrle, and Bobby Jenks.  Even though I'm pretty sure Paulie's the only holdover from '05 on the roster still, I still root for 'em when I watch 'em.

FRIAR CONNECTIONS?
Plenty.  Former/future Padres who were on the Sox roster in 2005: Jon Garland, Geoff Blum (who started '05 in San Diego and went back in '06, effectively only being a Sock for the playoff run), Dustin Hermanson, Raul Casanova (drafted by the Padres), manager Ozzie Guillen (also drafted by the Padres), Tadahito Iguchi, and Freddy Garcia (just signed to a minor league contract by the Pads).  Jerry Hairston spent 14 years with the White Sox, and both of his kids have played for San Diego.  The Jake Peavy trade brought current Padres "ace" Clayton Richard to San Diego, and the Padres also signed former White Sock Carlos Quentin to their current roster.

FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Shoeless Joe Jackson

Current: Paul Konerko!



















LEAST FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Jack McDowell

Current: Alex Rios

FAVORITE CARDS?
My favorite Konerko card is the one featured above, which was given to me by my brother Sam at the All-Star FanFest when it was in Anaheim a few years ago.  That was pretty cool of him.

 Some of my other favorite Konerko's.  Love the patch featured on his jersey in the Goudey card in the middle, and the World Series blurb on the "Baseball Heroes" card.  The Heritage card of Konerko looks slick as well.

 A trio of former/future Friars.  The Richard card is a sweet looking one.

A smorgasbord of White Socks! This is the only Raines card in my binders where he's not called "Rock", a sweet looking Fisk from 1986.  As a kid, I hated Michael Jordan because it seemed like he would always beat my beloved Blazers, but now I can appreciate this card for what it is: a pretty cool baseball card of the greatest basketball player to ever live.  Sorry LeBron.  Scott Radinsky is one of my "third tier" player collections, due to his time in a band called Pulley, which was pretty good, despite not being able to put out a decent music video.

My favorite Non-Paulie card would have to be this one of Fisk from 1982 Topps, which I picked up from a 50 cent bin at a card shop in San Diego.

I'll go ahead and end with my "classiest" White Sox card, which is serial numbered and features a jersey swatch that includes a pinstripe.  Picked this up in a trade last year, pretty sweet.

PREDICTIONS?
As much as I love the Southsiders, I don't know how anybody will overtake the Tigers in the AL Central.  Too much offense, too much pitching.  Still, I think the Sox will just barely edge out the Indians for second place.  Not sure that they'll have enough for a Wild Card spot though.

3 comments:

  1. My old man's favorite team. Took a trip to Comisky (or whatever corporate sponsor they whore'd the naming rights to) a couple of years ago. Great time.

    Favorite Player: Harold Baines, Jack McDowell
    Current: A.J. Pierzynski (still haven't accepted he's gone)

    Favorite card: '81 Fleer Harold Baines

    Prediction: AL Central Champs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJ would be my favorite if not for Konerko. Went to a game when they played in Anaheim and me and my brothers got on all of our Sox garb on. They all booed AJ, since it was '06 and last year's playoff wounds were still fresh, but he made 'em pay. Still, the Angels had some pretty polite fans, despite the heck we were giving 'em. Not sure if it's still like that, now that they've become Yankees West.

      Delete
  2. We still call is "Comiskey". Just like it's still called "Sears Tower" and Wrigley is still called "sh*thole".

    ReplyDelete