A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Other 29: Reds

As a countdown to the 2013 season, I'll be doing a feature on each Major League team.  This has been done before - probably better - in other places by other people.  I'll try to mix it up as much as I can though.  I am listing the teams in order of proximity to my current location; central Texas.  I'll be doing one of these posts (hopefully) every other day, with the last post featuring the Padres on Opening Day. Enjoy!

First order of business: A name change to the "30 Teams in 30 Posts" series.  In what I thought was an original play on the "30 Teams in 30 Days" spring training series on MLB Network turned out to be a blatant rip off of another blogger's idea.  Kerry from Cards on Cards had an "up for grabs post" on his unwanted Tony Gwynn cards.  I found a trio that I didn't already have, and as I was perusing his want lists to figure out what to send in return, I found a link that showed a feature that he did on each team, and, well, you can guess what it was named.

Hence, "The Other 29" was born.  Kinda like the New Orleans Bobcats Pelicans.

So, seeing as how the Padres will always be the most featured team on the blog, I figured this series will focus on the teams that don't often get their due: the other 29.

Okay, after starting out strong (well, relative to the normal content here at Backstop Cards) with the Rangers and Astros, there have been a few duds in the series, especially the Cardinals and Diamondbacks.  I won't link to those, and I don't recommend reading them, so lets just pretend that those posts don't exist.

The Reds, however, are another story.


THE DISTANCE?
1,097 miles.

DO I LIKE 'EM?
Meh.

SHARE MY FEELINGS?
As a kid, I always associated the Reds with the "Nasty Boys" (Dibble, Charlton, and Myers) and having one of the lamer names in professional sports.  Really, a color?  It was a while before I realized that it was shortened from "Redlegs", and the "Nasty Boys" had dissipated by the time I'd really gotten into baseball, so I guess my feelings about the Reds were pretty non-existent, good or bad.  Oh, and Marge Schott seemed like a crazy person.

FRIAR CONNECTIONS?
Whoo boy, where to start?  The most recent "connection" would be the Mat Latos trade.  I was pretty bummed at first, figuring that it was the typical Padres move, trading a valuable player for "prospects" that won't pan out (seriously, other than getting Hoffman in the Sheffield deal two decades ago was probably the last time it worked).  But I'm a believer in Yonder Alonso, and Edinson Volquez is a... major league pitcher who can eat innings.  If Yasmani Grandal can come back from his PED suspension and rake at the same rate he did last year, I'd say it's a clear win for San Diego.

Other than that, some of my favorite Padres have spent time in the Cincinnati organization: Trevor Hoffman was drafted by the Reds in 1989, Eric Owens was drafted in 1992, and Chris Denorfia was drafted by them in 2002.  Reggie Sanders, Damien Jackson, Bip Roberts, and Thomas Howard also spent time employed by Cincinnati.

FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Yonder Alonso




















Current: Brandon Phillips





















LEAST FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Deion Sanders

Current: Jonathan Broxton

FAVORITE CARDS?
Three of the guys in my Player Collection binder have spent time with the Reds (Alonso, Hoffman, and Denorfia), but Yonder is the only one that I have cards of in Cincinnati garb.

Looks better in Padre blue.

Figured I'd show the Votto, since I love that set.  Still, I have another Votto that I'm planning for a short post coming soon.  I love this Volquez card with the 1992 Upper Deck design, which I got in a trade from Nachos Grande.  Chris Gill was in their minor league system, but that is still a great card.

Here are a trio of future former Friars.  Micah Owings was the pitcher who was better at batting.  Eric Owens was just flat out awesome.   Damian Jackson was... on the team at one point, but I remember liking him.  I think one of my little brothers had a poster that said "Action Jackson" with Damian's face on it.  

I remember Mo Sanford getting a lot of hype in the early 90s.  Pinnacle's "Team 2000" cards were supposed to be of players who would be still be doing well in eight years.  A career 4.81 ERA with a 2-4 record says that something didn't quite pan out for Sanford.  Rob Dibble, however, is now a Fox Sports Radio personality, who isn't horrible.  I hope that Chris Sabo still rocks the Rec Specs around the house doing chores.  I wonder if he's ponied up for some laser eye surgery (I just pictured a surgeon implanting lasers into someones eyes as a weapon, kind of like "Q" from 007 meets "Laser Cats").  Regardless, I'd be interested to know how many people see Sabo's cards and think "glasses" vs. how many see them and think "1988 Rookie Of The Year".

PREDICTIONS?
Seeing as how the Reds were kind enough to trade us Yonder Alonso and a few other guys for Mat Latos, I kinda root for the Reds.  I normally don't like the loudmouth more outspoken players like Phillips, but the dude is pretty funny, and can make some insane plays with his glove.

They've got good pitching, and if Votto can stay healthy this year, I think they'll do well in a weak division where the Cardinals are their only competition.  First place in the NL Central.

2 comments:

  1. I once saw a Sabo card wherein he was NOT wearing the rec specs.

    I especially like that he was painted wearing them in his '89 Donruss Diamond King.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite Player: Pete Rose, Eric Davis (tie)

    Least: Chris Sabo

    Favorite card: 1987 Topps Pete Rose "manager"

    Prediction: 2nd NL Central

    ReplyDelete