A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Other 29: Cubs

As a countdown to the 2013 season, I'll be doing a feature on each Major League team.  This has been done before - probably better - in other places by other people.  I'll try to mix it up as much as I can though.  I am listing the teams in order of proximity to my current location; central Texas.  I'll be doing one of these posts (hopefully) every other day, with the last post featuring the Padres on Opening Day. Enjoy!

Onto the next Chicago team, the Northsiders, ten miles further than the White Sox.  Being inspired by a post from another The Cardboard Examiner, I typed in "The Cubs are" into Google Search.  The top four recommendations?

... gonna win today
... on their way
... cursed
... so bad

Starts off optimistic, then turns a corner towards Glass-Completely-Emptyville.  I guess that's to be expected when one of the nicknames for the team is "The Loveable Losers".

THE DISTANCE?
1,137 miles.

DO I LIKE 'EM?
Meh.

SHARE MY FEELINGS?
When I was twelve, my Little League team was the Indians.  We were horrible, and we started off the season on a super long losing streak, something like eight games or so.  At that time, the Cubs were off to a horrible streak as well, losing the first fourteen games of the season.  I had been saving up for a "pro-fit" hat (i.e. fitted, like the pros), and I was planning on having it be the Indians, so that I could wear it to my games, but to lighten the mood, I sprung for a Cubs hat and wore it to practice, saying that if we were playing like the Cubs, I might as well look like one.  Can't remember how that went over with the coach.

Anyways, I'm pretty indifferent to the Cubs, but I would like to make it to Wrigley Field someday.

FRIAR CONNECTIONS?
On the current roster, Anthony Rizzo and Scott Hairston are the only former Padres that I'm aware of.  Greg Maddux started off as a Cubbie and made a stop in San Diego near the end of his career.  Mark Grace was never a Friar, but he went to San Diego State.  The Padres met the Cubbies in the 1984 NLCS, blowing past them in the final three games to one to go to the World Series (and not four games to one, as I previously - and erroneously - stated; thanks for the correction, Wrigley Wax).  Booyah (just don't remind me how that Series went).

FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Ryne Sandberg.  Props for playing your whole career with one team, and doing it well.  I mean, ALMOST only one team!  Gosh dang it, I knew that he played a few games for the Phillies!  (thanks to TTG for another correction; don't worry we here at Backstop Cards are in the process of hiring a new editor, the last one just wasn't up to snuff).

























Current: Scott Hairston, who I thought was still a Met until now.

LEAST FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Derrick May.  I have no idea why, but as a kid, he did something that made me hate him.  It was probably something incredibly horrible, like hitting a home run off the Padres.  Kids, huh?

Current: Anthony Rizzo.  Not to be the bitter Padre fan, but he was so horrible in his stint in as a Padre that it's hard to root for him to do well in another uniform.

FAVORITE CARDS?
Not a whole lotta Cubs in my binders, but here's a small pack of them (get it, a pack of Cubs... no?  Ok, fine).  The Sandberg above is my favorite.  Being that the 1992 All-Star Game was in San Diego, it'd be cool to get more of the cards from that set.

I have a few Sandberg cards that I've held onto from my collection as a kid.  Didn't know a whole lot about him, but seemed kinda like the Tony Gwynn of the Cubs, so he had the respect of nine year old-me.  Greg Maddux tortured the Padres as a Brave, but my memories of him as a Cub are hazier, so I don't mind his Chicago cards as much.  Turk Wendell is awesome, so any cards of him are welcome into the binders.

This would have to be my favorite Cubs card, however.  I will always be a fan of the photography with the 1993 Upper Deck set.  This card always looked dangerous to me, since The Hawk is diving headfirst towards a BRICK WALL.  Seems a little haphazard, but I guess that happens sometimes.


PREDICTIONS?
Last year, the only team with a worse winning percentage than the Cubs was a team in their same division, the Astros.  Now that they've gone to the NL West, I think the Cubs will be the ones in the cellar.  Will they finish 36 games back again?  Hopefully not.

5 comments:

  1. If the Saints can win the Superbowl, the Cubs can win the Series! I can't wait for that to happen someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Cubbie post! You should have the Wrigley Field experience once.

    Just a minor correction...In 1984, the Padres beat the Cubs in the NLCS 3 games to 2....and it's all my fault. The Cubs won the first two games at Wrigley pretty easily, so I went out and bought a bottle of champagne to celebrate with after they won the third game. They never did, losing all three in San Diego. My fault for getting over-confident. And I hate Steve Garvey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I can't believe I messed that up! I KNEW that! Oh well, I guess I'll blame it on my hazy memory... I was exactly two months old when Garvey hit that walk off.

      Delete
  3. Good post, as per usual.

    I, too, have a minor correction. Sandberg actually played in a handful of games for the Phillies before getting traded to Chicago. Hope that doesn't ruin him for you.

    I definitely agree about Turk Wendell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll still like Sandberg, hopefully Yonder Alonso can be like that for the Padres (starting off a few games for the Reds, then sticking with the Padres for a long time). Man! Two corrections in one post. I guess it DOES let me know that people are actually reading this thing, though, so I guess I can't be too upset; ya get what ya pay for, right?

      Delete