A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Other 29: Brewers

As a countdown to the 2013 season, I'll be doing a feature on each Major League team.  This has been done before - probably better - in other places by other people.  I'll try to mix it up as much as I can though.  I am listing the teams in order of proximity to my current location; central Texas.  I'll be doing one of these posts (hopefully) every other day, with the last post featuring the Padres on Opening Day. Enjoy!

Doing this series has shown me where all my interest lies... the West Coast.  So far, this has been a completely middle American show and tell, but the West Coast teams are where my passion lies.  So much love, so much hate, so much familiarity.  The East Coast is interesting as well, mostly for the big names.  But aside from Chicago, I haven't got any strong feelings either way for the teams that reside in the Central, American or National League.

Did that hype you up enough to check out the Brewers?  I was at able to dig up some decent cards for this post, so there'll be some pictures to see, at the very least.

THE DISTANCE?
1,170 miles.

DO I LIKE ‘EM?
Not really.

SHARE MY FEELINGS?
I had a long, drawn out paragraph on the Brewers uniforms, but I'll just say that I never liked 'em, then they changed and got boring, and now I don't mind the throwbacks as much.  I've liked the "glove and baseball" logo ever since I was shown how the fingers of the glove form an "M", and the thumb and palm of the glove form a "B", which is pretty cool.  I also saw that they were MLB team sending the most players to the World Baseball Classic, so at least they're a patriotic bunch.

FRIAR CONNECTIONS?
Greg Vaughn was the last big trade deadline pickup that the Padres made, and that was in 1996.  Pretty sad.  So were Greg's numbers from '96 to '97, though he came up with a clutch hit now and again.  1998 was a different story, as he hit 50 homers and had 119 RBI.  Former Padres closers seem to wind up here, as Rollie Fingers and Trevor Hoffman both ended their careers in Milwaukee.  The son of Mr. Padre was drafted but the Brew Crew.

FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Greg Vaughn

Current: Rickie Weeks

LEAST FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Prince Fielder

Current: Ryan Braun
FAVORITE CARDS?
Greg Vaughn will always have a special place in this Padre fan's heart.  Vaughn was traded to the Padres in a trade deadline deal in 1996.  I can't think of any other deals near the trade deadline that have benefitted the Padres as much as he did.  On the day he was traded to San Diego, my mom took me and my brother to a card shop, and my brother got that card out of a pack.  As we were digging into our cards, I heard on the radio about the trade, and I quickly told my brother that I wanted to trade him the Vaughn card.  He didn't hear about it and the trade was made.  Still my favorite Vaughn card.

 These ones are also good.  Hard to go wrong with '92 Topps Gold or '92 Pinnacle.  The shot on the O-Pee-Chee card is cool as well.

 A trio of guys that I don't particularly care for, but they're Brewers in binders.

Ok, here are some guys I can root for!  Sure the first three all have Padre ties, so that's a given.  Still, how cool is the Sheffield card?  His was the first batting stance that I ever mimicked.  Probably not very well, but I still did it.  I would love to mimic Rollie's mustache.  The Anthony Jr. card isn't too shabby, though not as slick as the Yount card.  It's a "Member's Choice", so you know it's gotta be legit.

This was (in my opinion) the best photo used in the 2011 Topps set.  Not a Nyjer Morgan fan at all, but  a great looking card nonetheless.

Glaring omissions from my selected Brewers here would have to be Trevor Hoffman.  I have a few cards of him as a Brewer, but who wants to see those?  It's all about the Padre blue for Hoffy.

PREDICTIONS?
Will "Teflon" Braun ever get nailed for PEDs?  Will Bernie fall off the home run slide?  Will Taylor Jungmann's pitching improve on his decent first year out of University of Texas?  Will the Brewers finish in fourth in the NL Central?

I'm thinking: probably not, hopefully not, I hope so, and most likely.

1 comment:

  1. I was prepared to quote your last two paragraphs on the last cards, but what's the point?! You're right: totally cool Sheff card, a great Rollie card, and yeah, the Yount is better than the Jr.

    It is all about the Padres blue for the Hoff.

    All that said, I lightly follow the Brewers, though I've never known why.

    ReplyDelete