A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, February 28, 2013

For The Winfield!

I've mentioned before on the blog the not very original idea of creating a list of my favorite Padre cards.  One thing that's kept me from doing it so far is the fact that there are still so many good ones out there that haven't made it to my doorstep yet.

Here's one that can be marked off as signed, sealed, and delivered!

For my Padres collection to (eventually) be as complete as I'd like it to be, I decided that there were three main rookie cards that I'd need to have - Dave Winfield ('74), Ozzie Smith ('79), and Tony Gwynn ('83).  I've put in a few bids on eBay to see if I could score some on the "cheaper" end, and I'd get my hopes up as the auction went in to the remaining hours, only to see the price double and triple what I had been willing to pay.

But, I kept searching and searching and I was able to find a Winfield that was in "fair" condition for cheap!  I thought that it'd get snatched from my grasp at the last second like so many others, but it turns out that the market isn't as strong for Winfield's with fuzzy-ish corners.  Still, no creases, just your basic worn cardboard, and I'm a happy camper!

Just in case you were wondering what the back looked like.  The cartoon says that Dave was born the same day that Bobby Thomson hit the "shot heard round the world".  And he apparently arrived via stork.

The overall price I paid the seller was a smidge over $4.00, but it also included another purchase that I thought was very cool...

My first Nolan Ryan card in an Angel's uniform!

Pretty much all of the Nolan Ryan cards I have are from his Ranger days, which is how I remember him, and I have a few from his time in Houston.  I'll be honest, I am not really a huge fan of the 1975 Topps design (apologies to the offended masses), but the orange and maroon (?) border just works with the sleeves and classic pitcher's pose by Nolan against a beautiful, blue, (presumably) southern California sky.  

I kinda like the fake newspaper article on the back.  Doing a little research, in 1974, Nolan fanned 367 batters in 1974, a drop from the 1973 season, when he K'd a career high 383.  The next closest strike out total in '74 was fellow Hall of Famer Bert Blyleven, who was only 118 strikeouts behind him.

Anyways, I know that some people get down on eBay, and there are plenty of things that I don't like about it.  There are, however, "steals" to be had, so I'll keep digging to find them.  Spending less than four and a quarter on two cards of Hall of Famers (one being a rookie card of a player on my team) is a great buy any day of the week.

4 comments:

  1. Just over $4?! Doesn't matter, those are a pair of aces.

    I can't get enough of those 70's cards with the lurking Jack Murphy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pickups, Marcus!

    That '75 Ryan is one of my most wanted vintage cards at the moment. One of the best from the '75 set, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell for sure but I think the picture on the Ryan might be from spring training in Palm Springs. I don't see the mountains in the background but that would be my guess.

    ReplyDelete