A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, February 9, 2013

An Exception

On principle, there is no room in my binders for Fred McGriff cards after his Padre days.  The memories are still bitter, as my main card collecting friends (who totally ripped me off all the time just so I could get their Padres that they probably would've thrown away) were Braves fans, and never let me hear the end of it.

However...

this card came in a package from The Junior Junkie, and when I first saw it, I thought, "Hmmm... not often you see McGriff prowling around first base on a card, usually he's at the plate hitting it out of the park.  This is kinda interesting."  Looks like Todd Zeile is out on a ground ball from what I can only imagine being a shallow infield grounder.

Still, I have principles, and the "A" on the Crime Dog's hat might as well be a scarlet one.

Then I flipped it over.

"Tony, you've got to stop calling me.  For reals man.  It was great while it lasted, but Sheff and I have moved on... No, not that way, he's in Florida now.  You need to stop calling me at work.  Seriously, how did you even get this number?  Whatever, I can't even hear you right now, some yahoos are hanging out by the dugout doing the Tomahawk chant and it's driving me crazy."

It's not a well known fact, but those particular gloves and wrist bands were only used when he was answering the phone during day games.  Atlanta is a humid place, and sweaty palms = dropped phone.  And if you dropped those Zack Morris phones, you were out some big bucks.

Anyways, this card has been begrudgingly bestowed a landing spot in the "Former Padres" section of my binders.  Well played Upper Deck... well played.

More on this massive trade package on Monday.  Get ready for a cardboard tsunami.

4 comments:

  1. Did you get those erstad's i sent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, thanks again! I forgot to email you, but I posted about the awesomeness here:

      http://backstopcards.blogspot.com/2013/01/new-cards.html

      Delete
  2. Maybe a sacrifice bunt or dropped third strike? From the angle, it definitely seems like a throw from the catcher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!

    Are you kidding me:

    "Tony, you've got to stop calling me. For reals man. It was great while it lasted, but Sheff and I have moved on... No, not that way, he's in Florida now. You need to stop calling me at work. Seriously, how did you even get this number? Whatever, I can't even hear you right now, some yahoos are hanging out by the dugout doing the Tomahawk chant and it's driving me crazy."

    Brilliant!

    I've never been so convinced of chasing down a card featuring a bad "portable phone" shot.

    Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete