A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

30 Teams in 30 Posts: Royals

As a countdown to the 2013 season, I'll be doing a feature on each Major League team.  This has been done before - probably better - in other places by other people.  I'll try to mix it up as much as I can though.  I am listing the teams in order of proximity to my current location; central Texas.  I'll be doing one of these posts (hopefully) every other day, with the last post featuring the Padres on Opening Day. Enjoy!

Ok, now that the first two teams are out of the way, I'm hitting a wall.  Not writers block.  A cardboard wall.

I might've overestimated the amount of cards that I have of non-Padres teams.  I haven't calculated it all up, but I'd say that Padre cards are well over 50% of my collection.  Finding cards to represent some of these teams may prove more difficult that I previously imagined.  Today's post will be a prime example of that.

Are there any Royals in the house?

THE DISTANCE?
713 miles.

DO I LIKE 'EM?
Meh.

SHARE MY FEELINGS?
There was a point in history when the Royals were a great team.  Seven playoff appearances in their first 17 years of existence is pretty darn impressive.  Unfortunately, the last of those times was before I could talk, so to say it's been a dry spell is a gross understatement.  Being a kid from southern California, I'd be lying if I said that I could name more than a few Royals players from my childhood besides George Brett and Tom Gordon.  I can't really name any current players now, other than Mike Moustakas (great name), Jeremy Guthrie (great guy), and James Shields (great pitcher).  I don't really care about the Royals, but if they got good, they could be a great story, which I always like.

FRIAR CONNECTIONS?
The Royals are the Padres distant cousins.  Both got their start in MLB in the 1968 Expansion Draft, and debuted in 1969.  Wally Joyner got his start in Anaheim, his money in Kansas City, and his only World Series appearance in San Diego.  He made his way to America's Finest City after being traded for the one and only Bip Roberts.  Kurt Stillwell, a Padre during my youth, got his start in KC.

FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Wally Joyner


Current: Jeremy Guthrie

LEAST FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Jose Offerman

Current: Ervin Santana, but probably just because he used to play for the Angels.  I'd change my mind if he changed his name to "Magic".

FAVORITE CARDS?


These are pretty much all of the Royals cards that I have.  The Phil Hiatt card is probably the best looking card for a player that nobody has ever heard of.  The George Brett is a "Member's Choice" card, which were sweet to pull from a pack two decades ago.  Chris Gwynn would later join his brother Tony on the Padres.  Bo Jackson is pretty awesome.  I think my Grandma Caroline has the same hip as he does.

Oh, a late entry into my "Favorite Royals Cards"!  How could I miss this one?

Because one Bip is never enough.

PREDICTIONS?
For some reason, I thought the Royals would have a breakout year last year.  That did not happen.  I don't see a whole lot changing in the AL Central.  They lost 90 games, but finished third, ahead of the Indians (lost 94) and the Twins (lost 96).  I see them improving greatly on that record, but not enough to overtake the Tigers or White Sox.

Dylan was wrong.  The times are not a-changin'.  Third place in the AL Central.

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately...we do not have David Price (sigh....).

    Mike Sweeney is a SoCal guy. Moustakas is from Chatsworth HS.

    If you want any more Royals, take a look at my tradelist and let me know what catches your eye! (There might be some Padres on there, too) :-)

    http://www.zistle.com/royals/tradelist

    -Josh D.
    royalsandrandoms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, wrong former Rays pitcher! I got Sheilds and Price confused all the time when they were both in Tampa, and it hasn't changed now that one is in KC.

      Delete
  2. That Joyner card is absolutely one of the best from '93 Topps. Maybe from the decade. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All-Time Favorite: George Brett
    Current: Billy Butler

    Least Favorite All Time: Bret Saberhagen
    current: Jeff Francoeur

    Favorite card: '75 Brett

    Prediction: 82-80

    ReplyDelete