A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, February 10, 2013

30 Teams In 30 Posts: Rockies

As a countdown to the 2013 season, I'll be doing a feature on each Major League team.  This has been done before - probably better - in other places by other people.  I'll try to mix it up as much as I can though.  I am listing the teams in order of proximity to my current location; central Texas.  I'll be doing one of these posts (hopefully) every other day, with the last post featuring the Padres on Opening Day. Enjoy!

My first year in Pony League was spent on the Rockies.  It was the first year that we got to keep the jerseys at the end of the year, which was cool.  I still have it, though it's covered in tar from a pre-college job I once had.  That was a fun team, as I got to play with one of my good buddies from church, Logan.  Unfortunately, he stole my catching spot, and the coach slotted me at third base.  It wasn't too bad, and I definitely had the arm for it, but it wasn't the same as being behind the plate.

Still, I liked the team, and have a warm spot in my heart for the Poway Rockies.

THE DISTANCE?
880 miles.

DO I LIKE 'EM?
Meh.

SHARE MY FEELINGS?
Any self-respecting Padre fan will point to the Matt Holliday play at the plate in 2008 as a reason to hate the Rockies.  That, plus they're in the division, so there's no love lost between the two teams.

That being said, I don't have a particular dislike for the Rockies for the same reason that most don't have a particular dislike for the Padres... you gotta win consistently to get people bitter at you.  The Rox have had some good seasons, but they haven't done anything to push them into the same tier as the Dodgers and Giants.

FRIAR CONNECTIONS?
Some of the Padre mainstays of my youth were on the inaugural Rockie team, including Andy Ashby (drafted from the Phillies), Brad Ausmus (Yankees), and Jody Reed (Red Sox).  In that draft, the Rox nabbed Jerald Clark (7th pick), Lance Painter (33rd pick), and Scott Fredrickson (67th pick) off the Padres roster.  In 2006, Vinny Castilla, who's best years were spent in Colorado, started his final season with the Padres, but played the last 15 games of his 16 year career in Denver.  The Padres current closer is former Rock Huston Street.

FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Huston Street


























Current: Troy Tulowitzki


























LEAST FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Matt Holliday

Current: Carlos Gonzalez seems to be a Padre killer, hate when they have to pitch to the guy.

FAVORITE CARDS?
I got back into baseball cards in 2011, and while I traded away a most of the cards from packs I've ripped since then, a few Rockies have wriggled their way into binders.

Street is here for obvious reasons.  The Moyer card commemorates him becoming the oldest person to win a game in MLB.  In 2012, he went 2-5, one of his wins coming against the Padres.  Olivo is cool in my book for passing a kidney stone during the game and not asking to get taken out.  Lindstrom was born in Rexburg, ID, where I graduated from college in 2010.

Here are two guys who spent time in San Diego, but were also on the Inaugural Rockies.  1993 was a cool year for baseball cards, with all the cool "Expansion Draft" logos.

I am a Dale Murphy fan, but I'm sure that for most, his time in Colorado isn't memorable (batted .143 with 7 RBIs in 26 games), and was a kind of a depressing way to end an almost-Hall-of-Fame career.  Still, it may sound weird, but this is probably my favorite Murphy card.  Am I in the minority on that one?  Probably.

Bruce Ruffin is in my "third tier" of players that I collect, though I'm only interested in his Rockies cards.  Bonus points to anyone who can tell me what why he makes the cut.  Hint: it's not just because his name is BRUCE WAYNE Ruffin, but that is pretty cool.

PREDICTIONS?
The Rockies have a lot of talent.  A team with Tulowitzki and Car(los)-Go(nzalez) shouldn't be as bad as they were last year.  Their pitching seems to lack experience, but seems like they could have a lot of upside.  Still, I'm going to stick them in last place in my NL West predictions, mostly because I'm being a homer (and maybe a little overly optimistic) and picking my Padres to finish ahead of them, even though I wouldn't be surprised at all if they didn't.

4 comments:

  1. That '93 UD is probably my favorite Dale Murphy card as well, so you're not the only one with that train of thought. Although I'd bet we're both still in a huge minority with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I wrote that, I thought, "well, actually, Nick probably really likes this card..."

      Delete
  2. I'm stumped on the Bruce Ruffin thing but I have a guess. Maybe you were at the June 22, 1997 game at The Q when he got the loss after giving up a bases loaded double to Tony that put the Padres up 3-2 in the bottom of the 8th. That or it has something to do with rocksteady singer Bruce Ruffin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All-Time Favorite: Larry Walker
    Current: Jordan Pacheco

    Least Favorite All Time: Dante Bichete
    current: n/a

    Favorite card: 2012 Heritage Pacheco

    Prediction: 3rd NL West

    ReplyDelete