A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, February 2, 2013

30 Teams in 30 Posts: Rangers

As a countdown to the 2013 season, I'll be doing a feature on each Major League team.  This has been done before - probably better - in other places by other people.  I'll try to mix it up as much as I can though.  I am listing the teams in order of proximity to my current location; central Texas.  I'll be doing one of these posts (hopefully) every other day, with the last post featuring the Padres on Opening Day. Enjoy!

Welcome to the first installment of 30 Teams in 30 Posts!  As stated above, I'll be doing a feature on each team (and the cards of theirs that I have in my collection) leading up to Opening Day.  Instead of going American to National, or East to West, or least liked to most liked, I'll do it from the number of miles from my house to the stadium.  Kinda random, but whatever.

Anyways, first up are the Texas Rangers.

THE DISTANCE?
172 miles

DO I LIKE 'EM?
Yes.

SHARE MY FEELINGS?
My grandpa was raised in the Fort Worth area, so he would root for the Rangers if they were ever on TV.  He also has a signed Nolan Ryan baseball above the computer in his house, so I always kinda liked the Rangers.  Moving to Texas has let me get to know the team better, and I like 'em.  They've got a great group of radio announcers, which is really nice.  Their recent inability to seal the deal in the World Series reminds me of the Buffalo Bills.  They're a great secondary team to root for, once the Padres inevitably fall by the wayside.

FRIAR CONNECTIONS?
The Padres currently have a few young prospects that they picked up in the trade that sent Mike Adams to Texas (he's currently in Philly), including Robbie Erlin.  The Rangers traded Adrian Gonzalez to the Padres for basically nothing.  Phil Nevin and Ken Caminiti, players who had their best years in San Diego, made pit stops in Arlington during the tail ends of their careers.

FAVORITE PLAYERS?
Former: Nolan Ryan


Current: Derek Holland



















LEAST FAVORITE PLAYERS?
All-Time: Rafael Palmiero, I guess?

Current: Yu Darvish

FAVORITE CARDS?

 I also like the middle infield of Ian Kinsler and Elvis Andrus, although I hear they may be shopping Andrus to make room for rookie Jurickson Profar.  I think it's cool that they've been included on a few cards together.  The Kinsler looks ridiculous, since he's looking in the air for a ball that's already in his glove.

Nolan Ryan is awesome, and the one pictured above is my favorite card of his.  These ones are good too.  I especially like the '92 Fleer card with the strikeout tally on the wall.  Pretty sweet in my book.

Mike Napoli was my favorite player on the 2011 team, after going crazy in the postseason.  Now he's a Red Sock.  Still a great card, though.

PREDICTION?
The Rangers choked it big time down the stretch last year, and I think their window has officially closed.  With Josh Hamilton moving to a division rival (!), Michael Young getting shipped to Philly, Mike Napoli signing with Boston, and a pitching staff that is still without a true ace, they'll be trailing the Angels, who will finally get it together.  They supposedly have a bunch of young guys waiting in the wings to take over, but Jurickson Profar is their most talented prospect, and he's stuck behind Elvis Andrus and Ian Kinsler.  I'll be rooting for 'em, and I'll be checking out some of that young talent at the closest minor league team to me (Round Rock Express), but I think they'll drop to second in the division, and that's only if the A's don't get hot again like they did last year.

6 comments:

  1. Nice idea for spring training posts.

    I think the A's were kind of fluky last year and will probably have a big time fall this year. The Rangers still have a really good core without Hamilton, Young, and Napoli. I think the Angels might turn into this decade's Mets, a really expensive disappointment. The Mariners might be tough this year though. I still look for the Rangers to take the division crown with the Angel maybe getting a WC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be rooting for the Rangers to win, I like 'em a lot, but I'd say that if you compared the Angels and Rangers Opening Day rosters from last year and this year, I think the Angels got better and the Rangers got worse. Still, can't put a price tag on chemistry, and it seemed like the Angels didn't really have it last year.

      Delete
  2. Outstanding! Love the idea for this feature. You've outdone yourself this time, sir...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! When the bar is set low enough, outdoing yourself isn't really that hard!

      Delete
  3. Nice start...I can't wait for the season to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All-Time Favorite: Julio Franco
    Current: A.J. Pierzynski

    Least Favorite All Time: Nolan Ryan
    current: Everyone not named AJ

    Favorite card: nothing pops to mind

    Prediction: 2nd AL West

    ReplyDelete