A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The First


This is my 200th post (!), which happens to fall on the first day of the new year.  Hopefully everybody had a safe and fun New Year's Eve.  Didn't really do much around the house, but was able to sneak a kiss with my beautiful wife at midnight.

Anyways, for the first of the year, I thought I'd showcase the "first" card I ever got.

As far as I can remember, the first pack of cards that I ever ripped was 1991 Fleer, famous (or infamous) for it's bright yellow borders.  Now, I know that packs of '91 Fleer had 14 cards (and a sticker) in each pack, so technically I had 14 "first" cards.  However, as I gathered more cards and traded more cards (and lost more cards), there was always one card that I held on for nostalgia.

1991 Fleer #448, Henry Cotto

I'm not sure why I liked this card so much.  Maybe It was because the yellow borders complimented the early 90s Mariners color scheme.  Maybe it was because it looks like the ball is hitting Cotto in the gut as he's swinging.  Maybe it's because of Henry's awesome 'stache, shown prominently on the back of the card.

Whatever it was, I always considered it to be my "first" card.  And I think it's awesome.

However, I lost it, at some point.  Probably in some phase where I was tossing all the cards that were in my bin that weren't in great condition.  Dumb.  Since then, if I was ever in a card shop, I'd look for '91 Fleer packs to open and see if I could find it again, but I was never able to.

Shortly after starting this blog, I added this card to my "Most Wanted" list, but figured that it'd be a long shot, since I didn't think most people had boxes of '91 Fleer lying around.  Luckily, a trade with 26 Cent Summer brought my collection full circle.  Glad to have it again.

Anyways, happy 2013 everybody!  Best of luck over the next 365 days!  Only 42 days 'til pitchers and catchers report!

1 comment:

  1. Happy 200, sir! Very cool idea to post about your "first card". I think it's great that you have kept track of it and (finally) got hold of it again. I can't even pretend to know what my first card was, but after reading this I wish I did!

    ReplyDelete