A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Friday, January 4, 2013

Goals?

Well, it's the beginning of the year, and it seems like a lot of other blogs are posting their "resolutions" for their blogs for 2013 (man, it still seems weird to hit the "3" key instead of the "2").

I've never been one for resolutions, in case that wasn't obvious due to the fact it's the fourth day of the year and I'm finally deciding what they are going to be.   Part of this is because I've always figured that I will probably forget them by the end of the year.  Or by February.  The other part is that by creating "resolutions", I've always thought that it implies that there is something about your current state that you are unhappy with, and I've usually been pretty satisfied with my life.  

However, since I have this handy dandy blog, I'll have a place to go back to at the end of the year and see how it all shook down.  In response to the second issue, well... I'd say there's at least 30 things that I don't like about myself, and they're all measured in pounds.

I'll keep it short and sweet, since... that's what I feel like doing.  Starting with baseball stuff first.


1. Complete at least one of the above Padre sets ('69, '71, and '73, respectively).
This is as ambitious as I'll get card-wise, since I'm starting off pretty low for all of these.  I have three from the 1969 set (the Padres inaugural season), three from 1971, and a whopping six from 1973.  It'd be nice to do this through trades, but fortunately, Padres cards aren't in super high demand online, so I wouldn't be against buying them through eBay or COMC if the price was right.  There's a tab on the right of this page titled Padres Vintage "Have" List.  If you've got any to spare that I don't already have, I'll gladly take 'em off your hands.

2. Keep updating the blog at least once a week.
This shouldn't be too difficult, since I logged 199 posts from mid-April to the end of the year, but the blogosphere is littered with the remains of dead, sad, neglected blogs, and I'd like to stave off the blog vultures for a little while longer.  I really enjoy posting, so hopefully I don't get too burnt out on other things (or on writing, I guess) to keep posting and being a part of the online cardboard community.

Okay, that's enough for cardboard resolutions, onto personal stuff...

3. Lose 2.5 pounds a month, or keep on pace to lose 30 pounds by the end of the year.
Between finishing up school work at the end of the day, trying to get two kids to bed, and having any time to be with my wife/personal time, this will be the most difficult resolution to keep.  I definitely have the pounds to lose, and could actually stand to lose a little more, but this would be a great start.

4. Start and finish the New Testament and the Book of Mormon.
I've done this one before, multiple times, but not as recently as I would like.  Strengthening my relationship with God is something that I won't comment frequently on here, but is a lifelong commitment that I need to be working on more.  Incidentally, if you'd like a free copy of the Book of Mormon, you can request one here.  Maybe next year I'll go with the Old Testament, but I'll need a good study guide of some sort to survive that.

Well, that's it.  Four whole resolutions.  There are, of course, many other things that I'd like to accomplish this year.  I guess I didn't include them because it boils down to how much I want to get them done; if I want to get it done, I'll get it done.  If not, life will go on.  I'm not quite as ambitious as some of the other resolutions that I've come across online, but If I can accomplish these four, I think I'll be in pretty good shape.

1 comment:

  1. For resolution #3, try an App called Gym-pact. Been using it since August. 3 30-minutes walks a week, down about 10 lbs and made almost $35. It'll make more sense once you look into it. If not, send me an email and I'll answer any questions. Good luck with all of them!

    ReplyDelete