A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, January 28, 2013

69 Dudes!


I've posted before about my musical tastes, which apparently are shared by very few readers.  That's fine, since that's obviously not the focus of my blog.  For today's Music Monday, however, I'd like to mention one of my favorite movies of all time: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

I was watching a comedian on TV one time who asked an audience member what his favorite movie was.  When he answered that it was Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, he replied, "That's funny, you don't look like a pothead."

I'm not sure if drugs make Bill & Ted more enjoyable, but I'm clean, and I love this movie.  

Anyways, in reference to the nine second movie clip above, I recently made an eBay purchase that gets me two cards closer to one of my goals: completing the 1969 Padres team set.

I snagged both of these from the same seller for a whopping total of 89 cents.  I would rather have these cards than have 89 cents.  I was wondering why two cards from the '69 set would come so cheap (shipping was free), and then I turned the cards over.

If you look below the stat lines for Wins, Losses, and Strikeouts, you'll see that the former owner, most likely a budding mathematician, added a few extra numbers to Mr. McBean's career totals.  This was on both cards.  Given the choice, I guess I'd rather not have the "special additions" to these cards, but for 89 cents, these will find a place in the binder, no problem.

Anyways, to close the post, here's some musical goodness with a Bill & Ted connection.  Although it wasn't as great as the original, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey was a decent movie.  Having the Grim Reaper as a character was pretty funny, and the aliens that can only say one word seems very 80s to me, even though it was made in 1991.  There were plenty of weird ideas, including the guys having their own personal hells, and later sneaking into heaven with the Death as a cross dresser.  Still, I'd have to say that the song that closes the movie is one of the best movie-closing songs of all time.  Instead of posting the clip from the movie, here's a music video that Kiss made for it that I had never seen before writing this post



Be excellent to each other.

4 comments:

  1. I don't get it, was the guy double-checking Topps' math or what?? Either way, that's a small price to pay for such vintage cards in pretty sharp condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on all counts as far as your comments on Bill & Ted! (I'm also not a pothead. ;) )

    "4 out of 7?"
    "DAMN RIGHT!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pickups. I just had both arrive as part of a significant '69, '70, '71, '72, '73, '74, and '75 Padres Topps lot. '69 is a special year for us Friar fans, obviously.
    How many more until your inaugural year set is complete?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a ways to go on that one, I only have five of the... well, I don't even know how many there are in the set. I think I'm going to focus on completing the '71 and '73 sets in the near future, and just pick up the '69s when I come across them on the cheap.

      Delete