A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

2013 Topps

Two posts in one day, must be something special, huh?

Yep, I got my first taste of 2013 Topps.  I was staying a little later at school that I wanted, looking over a review assessment that my students took today on fractions.  Big test coming up on Thursday, trying to make sure everybody's ready to go.  Fractions are like monsters to 5th graders.

Anyways, I swung by Walmart on the way home and picked up a hanger box of the new stuff and hurried out to my car to check it out.

Here is my first Padre card of 2013.

It turned out to be the only Friar of the bunch, which was a bummer.  Thought about calculating the percentage of cards that were Padres, since I was still in fraction/decimal mode from school, but numbers that small aren't worth calculating.  Volquez isn't really a favorite of mine by any means, but he's hard to dislike too much, since he's (sadly) one of the better choices the Padres have in the starting rotation.

Still, there were a few other cards that were worth keeping.  I'm not a set-builder, so I'm only holding on to the ones that strike my fancy.

These are all good.  I love the retro jerseys on the Michael Young and the Chris Sale cards.  The view of U.S. Cellular Field behind A.J. Pierzynski is striking as well.  Feldman and Bogusevic are players that I like, Scott from his performance in then 2011 postseason for the Rangers, and Bogusevic for hitting a home run on my birthday when I saw him play for the Round Rock Express a few years back. By the way, I'm stoked to see the Astros rocking their new jersey design this year.  Hopefully it'll make it onto the cards that are released later on in the year.

Here are some obligatory pictures of the inserts, cards that will be part of future trade packages.  Nothing too impressive to my eyes.  I kinda like the "Calling Cards" set, but that Reggie Jackson's "calling card" is his ripped abdominals seems a little strange to me. 

I kinda like the emerald parallels here, and the blue ones... look about the same as last year.  The Padres cards will most likely look good with the blue.  Am I the only one who's not stoked on the '72 style minis?  I personally think that the '72 design is pretty hideous, and doesn't hold a candle to '71 or '73.  For series 1, the only Padre is Tony Gwynn, so there won't be many of these I'll be on the lookout for.

It wouldn't be a proper "pack report" if I didn't also mention the back of the cards.  Nothing too special here.  It's interesting that they've included the "Career Chase" below the height/weight/birth information.  Just in case you were wondering, Volquez only needs 5,061 strikeouts to match Nolan Ryan's all time record of 5,714.  I wonder if it'll happen this year or next year?

It's kinda cool that the write up above his stats references the only Padre game that I went to last year.  Much less cool that the bright red in the stats shows that last year he led the National League in walks with 105.  I wonder what the "Career Chase" would be to have the all time lead in free passes.

Anyways, there's my first look at 2013 Topps.  Just felt like tossing my two cents along with the kajillion other bloggers who will be doing so in the next few days.

The fistful of other cards I have will be up on the trade list soon, along with all of the inserts.  Mostly just looking for the Padres in this set.  If you haven't seen it yet, the Yonder Alonso card from this set is awesome.

10 comments:

  1. Wow - AJ not photoshopped into a Rangers uniform? Is this the new standard for Topps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hold onto that peralta, I have some more friars for ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done! I've been hoarding a few Tigers for ya as well.

      Delete
  3. Ah, good on ya, chap! A Padres pull to kick things off!

    And, away ya go into the wilder shores of 2013.

    Personally, I like your pull. Yes, the Gwynn would've been a real treat, but this gets you back to ripping! I like the '72 design a lot and it's one of the next vintage sets I could go after wholly because of it's gaudy bad-'70s brilliancy.

    "It's kinda cool that the write up above his stats references the only Padre game that I went to last year." Totally cool. Certifiably. Not many cards one can say that about. Anyway, yeah, the Yonder is phenom.

    I keep saying I'm not a set builder, but as it turns out, I think that's exactly what I may be at present. Now, that said, I highly doubt this is the set I'll build this year. I like the look, but Chrome (Topps and maybe Bowman this year) could win out. I'm with you aiming for Padres and inserts, etc with Franchise.

    I had my chance today, with a store north of me confirmed 2013. However, being enough of a haul after the workday, the reasonable side of me won out (not recommended to give voice to that side of oneself when it comes to cards) to wait until tomorrow. The main deciding factor was that they (Walmart, as you may have discovered, too?) didn't have their hobby boxes out, just blasters and rack packs.

    Tomorrow: a hobby box!

    ...or, two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on thinking 1972 is an overrated design. It does fit the time period perfectly though, but in my mind the design doesn't stand the test of time...much like 1952 Topps.

    I really like the look of this year's set, especially the parallels. However I won't be building this set due to the lack of team diversity that I have spotted on the checklist. I mentioned it on another blog as well but here are some totals

    18 different Yankees
    18 different Giants

    6 Indians
    6 Rockies
    5 Astros
    4 Twins

    Why would a Twins collector even buy a pack of this? The flagship set should be the Great Equalizer, but it's just become a late 90's peripheral set with only big city teams represented heavily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know the breakdowns! I was feeling that my cards were heavy on Yankees and Giants. I think there are 7 or so Padres in Series 1, but I'm not sure. It's the main reason that I'm not really interested in most of the inserts as well. If it wasn't for Tony Gwynn, the Padres might be shut out of some of those completely (ahem, last year's Archives base set?).

      Delete
  5. Finally! Another blogger that agrees with me that the '72 minis aren't the best thing since sliced bread! I'm hoping whatever minis I pull I can trade for the Calling Card or Cut to the Chase cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen any in person so I don't know about the minis, but I know I need that Darvish. If you want to trade it that is. I'll find something Padreish for you when I bust some '13 packs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice A.J. Pierzynski - haven't seen that yet.

    All my Padres are belong to you.....

    ReplyDelete