A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, December 1, 2012

To the Time Machine!

Like most Padres fans, I was a big fan of Ken Caminiti when he joined the team in 1995.  Dude was a gamer and could put on a clinic on any given night, on offense and defense.  Seriously, I've you've never seen any of the defensive plays he made with the Padres, you're missing out.  He set a few single season Padre records during his MVP season in 1996 (130 RBIs, .621 Slugging, 1.028 OPS), and in the eyes of many Friar faithful, could do no wrong.

The world know nows the things that Cammy did during his career that tarnished his legacy, but as a baseball fan, it's something that I've come to grips with, and I can now appreciate the cardboard from Caminiti's days in San Diego.


Like I mentioned in yesterday's trade post, there was one more card that I wanted to share.  This card has a cool sparkle to it that reminds me of some of the parallels from last year's Topps set.  If you're having a hard time reading the foil on this card, don't worry, you're eyes aren't failing you, it's hard to read in hand as well.

This card, from 1996 Collector's Choice, is a "Crash The Game" card.  It's a contest that you could win if the player featured hit a home run during the series listed on the right hand side.  Kind of a cool concept, if you ask me.

This card in particular has the dates "July 11-14" on it.  Any chances that I'm a winner of a "super premium Cell Card of the same player"?  Wednesday's Lotto numbers will tell you that luck doesn't always smile on me.

My part time blogging companion, baseball-almanac.com, says that the Padres were visiting Colorado for that particular trip.  Score!  If you had to hand-pick a stadium, that's one you'd go with.

Let's check the box score for July 11.  Not starting off great, he only went 1 for 4.  But wait!  Scrolling down to the details, he hit his 13th homer of the season in the 7th inning off Steve Reed!  I'm a winner! 
Let's check the back of the card to see where I send it to!

Oops.  Needed to be postmarked by November 18th, 1996.  Oh well.

Just for funsies, let's see how he did the rest of the series...

July 12, he went 3 for 4 with his 14th home run of the season in the 5th inning off of Jamey Wright.

July 13, he went... 1 for 1?  What happened here?  Oh wait, he had 4 RBIs.  In his only official plate appearance, he homered with a man on in the 7th, and he had two sacrifice flies.  I'll assume that they were pretty deep, which made the Rockies staff pitch try to pitch around him, to the tune of two walks.

July 14, he went 1 for 3 with... just a double.  Way to keep the streak alive, Kenny.

Despite Caminiti's stats for the four game series (.500 batting average, 3 HRs, 7 RBI), the Dads were swept by the Rockies, being outscored... (wait for it)... 40-27!!!  In four games!

Anyways, I thought this was a pretty cool card, and got a good chance to travel back to my favorite season as a Padres fan.  How many days until Spring Training again?

1 comment:

  1. Awesome card! I pulled a couple of those back then but never any Padres or any winners.

    ReplyDelete