A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Sliding Into Christmas Break

Today is my first day of Christmas Break.  It's also the first day of the rest of my life, but those are more common than people will admit.  Anyways, this school year has been a pretty rough one so far, and it doesn't show any signs of letting up in 2013.  I'll have to become an expert in spotting silver linings... or I'll just go crazy.

Anyways, this is why I miss Upper Deck cards.  How cool is this for your rookie card?
Get it?  He plays for the red socks.

Yesterday we had our class Christmas Holiday Party (according to more than half my class, they celebrate Chanukah in addition to Christmas, despite the fact that none of them are Jewish; we also have a girl who celebrates Three Kings Day).  Of course, we had to get through a handful of "school-type stuff" before we got to the actual festivities, but we eventually got to the good stuff.

I don't normally get gifts or anything for my students, but since I knew a lot of my co-workers were, I made a trip to Wal-Mart to see what struck my fancy...

... and found a blaster of 2009 O-Pee-Chee for "40% Off!"  There were "14 Packs plus 1 Bonus Pack" (I don't know why they say that, since I haven't been able to find any that didn't have the "bonus" pack), so I had just enough for my class, since a few kids had already left for vacation.  I also bought a discounted rack pack of Bowman Platinum, since I know how much my kids love the shiny cards.

So, they each got a pack of OPC (along with some candy and a little trinket from the dollar store), and then I came around and traded one of their cards for one of the Bowman Platinums.  They were beyond stoked for those, and these are a few of the cards that I ended up with.  I already have the Headley without the black border, but I like this one a lot better.  Love the Kouzmanoff card, and the Street card looks sharp, too.  This was from his first year in Colorado.

Nothing else memorable from that blaster, but a few cards that will make their way into some trade packages at some point.  Snagged a Rick Porcello rookie card, and since I've heard some trade rumors surrounding him and the Padres, I'll hold onto it until that deal inevitably falls through.  Seriously, the rotation for 2013 is looking pretty rough.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to use this idea for when I (hopefully) become a teacher down the road.

    ReplyDelete